16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New Ammo for Newbie
Desert Dog
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

I am an avid bird hunter shooting over pointing dogs. I made the decision today to cross over from a 20 guage to a 16 and was able to pick up a nice Citori. I have always been a fan of Winchester copper plated ammo for Pheasants but I guess this is not an option in 16. I am mainly concerned about pheasants because I find straight lead to be very effective on quail, and Chukar and there seems to be alot of options for lead in 16. Could you guys steer me in the right direction based on your experience with factory ammo. I like the 1300 fps velocity range because I have pretty much stayed in that range with my 20 and don't like the idea of having to compensate my lead for slower ammo. I have read some guys have not been impressed with the Fiocci Golden Pheasant, but their #5 load has simialr ballstics to the ammo I am used to. Would also be curious as to online retailers with the best pricing by the case. Thanks for the site as this site made me decide to go to the 16. This is a great resource.
Samuel_Hoggson
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

This is a no-brainer: https://www.bandpusa.com/Shopping/index.php?cPath=1_10_12 Remember that Italian #5s are about like US #5.5.

Sam
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome DD :

Perhaps you will take the plunge and start to rolling your own in the future ????

Nice to have you aboard .

Regards Charles
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

The B&P shells are great. Good advice. You said you were partial to the copper plated Winchesters. For your 16, you might try Fiocchi pheasant loads. They are nickel plated. A couple of years ago I found some 16 ga shells in a pawn shop. They were American Eagle made by Federal. They had the purple hull and all. I cut one open and the shot was copper plated. It could be that Federal Classic shells are copper plated. Does anyone know.