16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bananza, the gods had smiled.
old16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:18 am  Reply with quote

Several years ago my wife and I bought another house farther out in the country. We did't sell our other house before we moved. I did not need to move everything all at once. The new house was only 5yrs. old when we purchased it. We kept the old house for two years untill I got my asking price. About 3 months before the house was sold I put up a 30x50 building with a loft in it for my wood shop. Well when the house sold I had to move everything in a little bit of a hurry. I still had a lot of my loading stuff at the old house so I gathered the stuff up and put alot of stuff in big boxes and brought the boxes to the new building and stored them in the loft. At the same time our house sold my daughter sold the small farm she had and I had alot of stuff out their also. Well I had to move that stuff in a hurry. My grandboys helped me and you know how that can be. Just throw the stuff toghther and lets get this done or grandpa will have us doing other things. To shorten this story up, I go up in the loft and get some of the reloading components once in a while. I thought I new what was all up their especially in the 16 ga line. I new I had some sp16 wads in a large box under about 150 empty bags of shot. Well I start to check out how many bags of wads was under their when I came across several bags of B/P sporting wads I must have purchased at least 10 years ago. Total 8 bags of b/p and 8 bags of sp16. Well that was nice and I new I had about 2000 AA wads (All 16ga stuff I'm talking about.)

I then preceeded to check out a small storage tray that I thougt had some old 57 primers in and found about 500 which was nice cause I new I had some brandnew prime Remington emptys I bought several years back and thought I better use those things up. While looking for them I came across a large box with 350 primed brand new fioucci hulls. (Nice) So I removed them from the box but (WAIT THERE IS MORE) Razz Underneath them was 1200 Once fired compressioned formed winchester hulls that I forgot I had. I remember now where I got them and I won't mentioned his name cause I won't sell them back.This is punishment for him when he left the fold for a while and shot one of those other so called gages. Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing I bought them about 12 yrs ago and them babys are as fresh as a baby's bottom. I have a drawer of about 500 of the winchesters that I have been reloading. When they get a little ragged on the ends I cut them back for roll crimps.

Well thats my story. I have enough wads to take me through till the Hammock Special hits the market and I'll make another large purchase.

Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:25 am  Reply with quote

It pays to be a packrat Laughing Laughing .

Rick

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Old 16, sometimes it works the other way. I know I bought a case of RGL 16 ga 7 1/2 at Dicks Sporting goods, but I can't find them. One of these days I'll stumble on them and think the Gods are smiling on me. While I was looking for them, I found a couple of old boxes of 16ga 1 1/8 oz Winchester Mark 5 shells. They must be 40 years old. I also found a box of Winchester Dove and Quail that proudly state "made in USA". I hope they shoot.
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Scolari wrote:
Old 16, sometimes it works the other way.

I am presently conducting a room-to-room Easter Egg Hunt for my turkey loads. No luck on the shells, but I have found money, books, keys, etc. that has been missing for I don't know how long. If only these shells were like squirrel buried nuts. I'd have house full of trees sprouting turkey loads.
Gil
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:20 am  Reply with quote

Old16,

Sounds like you found the Mother Lode, especially the 1200 CF cases Cool .

Dennis
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

You know I have looked all over the house and shed and still can't find those shells. I wonder if I was just thinking about buying a case but never did. I've done that before. Now I'm doubting myself. I'll look again next week and if I don't find them, I'll just go buy some. Who knows, I may find something neat that I forgot about. Thats what happens when you put on a little age. Every day holds a new surprise.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Scolari wrote:
Thats what happens when you put on a little age. Every day holds a new surprise.

Damn, I resemble that remark! Never know what I'll find next.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Old 16 I'll trade you 2500 Rem GL's for those 1200 win CF's. I'm still young I'll get all the life out of them.