16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  JP Sauer & Sohn
cvdawley
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

The JP Sauer sxs I just picked up tonight appears to have been made in March, 1946 (ser#157xxx) and says nitro on the flats. It have 2.5 inch chambers at this time(plan to modify). Can it handle modern ammo?
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

My JP Sauer SXS from about 40-50 years earlier than yours handles modern ammunition just fine, but then you know they don't make things the way that they used to! Wink

cvdawley
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

Golfswithwolves wrote:
My JP Sauer SXS from about 40-50 years earlier than yours handles modern ammunition just fine, but then you know they don't make things the way that they used to! Wink
I am guessing on the dates based on things I have read about barrel markings on Sauers. Do you have any data you might share regarding ser# and dates?
JonP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:19 am  Reply with quote

Check to see if there is a number on the flats...like 9 46 or 11 46. This would be the month and year that the gun was proofed. I have 2 Sauers from the 1930's and both have proof dates. Maybe they were discontinued during/after the war for a while. Anyone know??
mdm1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:58 am  Reply with quote

I had one with 256 stamped on the flats. I figured Feb 1956.
Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:27 am  Reply with quote

cvdawley wrote:
The JP Sauer sxs I just picked up tonight appears to have been made in March, 1946 (ser#157xxx) and says nitro on the flats. It have 2.5 inch chambers at this time(plan to modify). Can it handle modern ammo?

Pressures for nitroproofed guns have not changed. 2½2 and 2 3/4" have the same pressure limits by CIP, the Permanent International Commission of Gun Proofing, namely 780 Bars. German nitroproofed barrels should be marked with a crowned N. There should not be any problems with using moderna ammo. However, older guns mostly pattern best with fibre wad loads.

If your gun left the factory in March 1946, it should be stamped 346 on the water plane. Now, as I would say, it is not very likely that the gun left the factory in 1946. The land was then newly freed from the nazi dictatorship, and gun were commonly confiscated and making was not allowed. Gun making began slowly again after the foundation of the two German republics in 1948. Sauer moved the factory after the Sowiet occupation to Eckerförde at Kiel in western Germany, where they still are.

Anyway, any Sauer shotgun is a good one. Smile Do you perhaps like to show some pictures?

Regards,

Old Sh.
bhs61
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

I have two 16 ga Sauers a Mod. 18e sn 165xxx that was made in 1910 and a Mod 8 sn 156xxx that was made 1907. The Mod 8 was just returned from Michael Orlean with 70mm chambers. Shot it at sporting clays with Fiocci game loads and it was quite comfortable. Tried a couple of RGL and noticed quiet an increase in recoil.
cvdawley
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

JonP wrote:
Check to see if there is a number on the flats...like 9 46 or 11 46. This would be the month and year that the gun was proofed. I have 2 Sauers from the 1930's and both have proof dates. Maybe they w
ere discontinued during/after the war for a while. Anyone know??

That is where I came up with March1946...346. so I would guess that was the manufacture date. This gun is also supposed to have cocking indicators. I have no idea what these are on this JP Sauer. What do they look like?
cvdawley
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

bhs61 wrote:
I have two 16 ga Sauers a Mod. 18e sn 165xxx that was made in 1910 and a Mod 8 sn 156xxx that was made 1907. The Mod 8 was just returned from Michael Orlean with 70mm chambers. Shot it at sporting clays with Fiocci game loads and it was quite comfortable. Tried a couple of RGL and noticed quiet an increase in recoil.

As to model. When listed no model # was provided. Is this marked on the gun some where? there is a crown with a U under it and a crown with a W under it. There is also a large #19 on each of the barrel flats There is also an S after the 346(date?) I also see a crown S on one barrel(bottom)
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Is there a 3 digit # (346) on the barrel flats? That would be thee date code for a gun made in March of 1946.

Most Sauers were built like bank vaults. Side clips, double underlugs, greener crossbolts. Open the chambers, and don't look back.

What does the gun weigh? I've found that the British formula of 96X shot weight = gun weight works best. [Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule.]
1 oz. of shot X 96= a 6 lb. gun.
1 1/8 oz. of shot X 96 = a 6 3/4 lb. gun.

As with any vintage (or used) gun, first have it inspected by a competent gubsmith before doing any shooting. Also, most vintage guns can benefit from having the stock glass bedded. Its also a good time to have the internals cleaned, checked, and lubed.

Good luck with it. Where are the photos?

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
cvdawley
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

You Know, I have to learn how to put photos on here. It weighs 5.6lb. The part I was holding close to the vest is that it is a 20ga.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:05 am  Reply with quote

cvdawley wrote:
You Know, I have to learn how to put photos on here. It weighs 5.6lb. The part I was holding close to the vest is that it is a 20ga.

A 20 ga. say you? Run and hide. Run and hide.

How long are the barrels?

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
cvdawley
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

27.5. Bores are bright with no pitting, bluing is in good shape. Although aged it appears to have a nicely grained stock. I will work on learning how to post pictures. It feels great and should be a great addition to the grouse woods at such a light weight.
cvdawley
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

cvdawley wrote:
27.5. Bores are bright with no pitting, bluing is in good shape. Although aged it appears to have a nicely grained stock. I will work on learning how to post pictures. It feels great and should be a great addition to the grouse woods at such a light weight.

Correction: 28.5 in barrels