16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  10 gauge buffered load?
robp
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry this is not 16 gauge related but i believe this to be a very knowlegable group and I was hoping for some input
I want to load some 2 1/4 oz lead 10 gauge loads The hogden book has a recipe for one:

federal 3 1/2" hull
federal 209a primer
32.5 grains long shot
sp10 wad with a 20 gauge .135 card
2 14 oz lead
the result is a 1250fps @ 11000 psi

what happens if i use a 1/4 felt wad to take up the space and add 24 grains of buffer
what I was thinking is to weight the shot charge and the buffer together and get a payload of 984 grains which would be 2 1/4 0z
who can I snd these to for testing?
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:55 am  Reply with quote

It's my understanding that adding buffer will increase the pressure considerable. I have never loaded buffer.
I would highly recommend you send at least three of these loads out for testing.
Ballistic Research
Tom Armbrust
1108 West May Ave.
Johnsburg, IL. 60050

mdoerner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Buffer increases pressure. Think of the wad petal as a brake shoe. With pellets, you have individual point contact with the petal and barrel where the pellets make contact with the petal. When you add buffer, that becomes continuous contact as the buffer fills the voids between the pellets. More petal contact means more resistance as the wad goes down the barrel and therefore more pressure.

Mike Doerner
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Back in the days I used to Goose hunt, I reloaded a 12 ga load for geese. At that time I used a buffer called Grex and I think I bought it from Ballistic Products. The information that came with the buffer said that pressures could be raised as much as 2000 psi by adding that buffer. I always chose a load with a rated pressure of less than 8000 psi before adding the buffer.
I had no way of checking the pressure after adding the buffer but felt I was safe starting with a load of 8000 psi or less. I also would think the weight of the buffer would make a big difference.
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

I handloaded for my Ithaca NID 3.5" 10 gauge back in the early 80s. I have two pages of load data with pressures and velocities. Some are buffered. Send me your email addy by PM and I'll scan them for you.
Gil
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:37 am  Reply with quote

Tom Roster's loading manual warns against it.

Never add a buffer to any shotshell load not specifically developed with a buffer...there is no way to acurately predict how much chamber pressure will rise when a buffering substance is added to a shotshell load not specifically designed for a buffer.

putz463
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:56 am  Reply with quote

i agree with onefun, dont go messin around with unknown presures. the 10ga has a relatively low ceiling on max chamber preasure when compared to the other common gauges. when not shooting 16ga i also shoot and reload 10ga and have found plenty of usefull recipes in the reloading books offered at Balistic Products and Reloading Specialties (Bucks Run). from cut back 1 1/4oz super fast steel duck loads right out to the limit in lead turkey and yote loads + some great tungsten loads. Bucks Run even offers recipes and tips on reloading duplex steel loads that extend and increase the effective range and knockdown power of some steel loads all the while increasing pellet count. heres a tip...try one of their screeming duplex steel loads through a patternmaster tube at a turkey head target at 35 paces. if you still decide to shove 2 1/4 oz of lead at 1100 fps down the barrel of your 10ga i'd be surprised. remember.....speed kills. hope this helps, good luck, mike