16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How and Where to sell your guns
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:36 am  Reply with quote

I have several shotguns and rifles that are taking up space in my safe without being shot for several years. The last time I sold a gun was putting an ad in my local paper and waiting for responses. I don't like doing a consignment deal with my local dealer since he's taking 25% off the top and another will give me less than low blue book. I know he has to make a profit but I don't want it with my $$$. What do the rest of you do to sell your guns esp. with the advent of the internet?? What firms with the internet provide quality service with less hassles??

Thanks in advance
Brad6260
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:00 am  Reply with quote

A couple of options Terry.

If you have some of the"good stuff" meaning good condition collector grade guns particularly SXS's, O/U, Brownings,Merkels etc and of course 16 gauges of almost any flavor then sites like this or the Double Gun Forum offer classified postings at almost no cost. Don't think they have to be Purdeys or real high end to have an interest mainly high condition. If your guns are desirable, well kept and priced fairly they usually will sell and you can avoid the auction site hassles and expenses. If you have a safe full of old run of the mill pawn shop type guns there are certainly lots of buyer for this type weapon on the Gunbroker auction site or GunsAmerica listing sites.

Any 16's or nice doubles I would certainly start by listing them here.

One mans opinion. Best of luck.

Brad
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:43 am  Reply with quote

If the newspaper in your town is anything like mine, the ad will be expensive, and produce limited results.

Right here is a great place to post shotguns. Dave's site is a great place for hunting guns of all types.

Do post at those two sites.
Best,
Ted

XVI'er
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Brad and Ted are right. The internet forums are the cheapest way to get the exposure to potential buyers- it's FREE! Not only that, but it prequalifies your buyers by type of firearm. Sure, you'll get some trollers, but you'll also get more serious buyers as well. Wink

Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

I would also look at listing the guns on Trapshooters.com. A lot of guns are listed there and it is a very active site.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

I have had success selling guns on GunsAmerica. I accept certified funds and require shipment to a FFL only. Make sure that you require the buyer to pay for S&H&I - - Insurance has gotten expensive. I have sold 8 or so guns that way.

I also sold a high dollar Rem Mdl 32 on Gun Broker without any pain. Set a reasonable reserve price and let it rip. Most of the bidding action comes on the last day.

FWIW - Hc

jim18611865
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:23 am  Reply with quote

www.gunbroker.com is the way to go, but new sellers generally get less than established sellers.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Terry,

I sent you a pm.