16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Where can I order Non-Toxic Soft Ammo
gungho
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Got a new Merkel that is good for steel. But it just feels wrong to use steel in such a gun.

I am getting into reloading, and I may make an attempt at loading up some of the the Nice Shot. But does anyone sell a soft non-toxic shot ready to go? Since I only shoot 6-12 rounds per year in areas that require non-toxic, cost is not the driving issue.

Thanks

Sage-grouse Guy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Hey Gunho:

I have a Merkel I run about 200 rounds of 3-inch steel through a year, right up to BB for geese. No scouring, bulging, or problem of any sort observed in the bore or chokes.

Merkels are incredibly stout, use the best steels, and are well-designed to be durable.

You might get advice to open a full choke to M or IM, but as much because full will just probably pattern steel too tightly. You might need to shoot more open chokes, but don't adjust your non-toxic projectiles... adjust your thinking.
Stolz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:48 am  Reply with quote

I would not trust that steel so much. In the case you have a shotgun "Made in GDR" made in the 1980' the qualtity drop. The guns in the 70' are made better. In the case you have one stamped "Made in Germany" then it is really no problem there you can put through what you want.

I have a 147SL made after 1990' and want to buy a second one. The new model 60E has 76 chamber and the finish is by far better. The gun is lighter and the barrels are less in dia. The quailty increase much between 1990 and 2000. (Price too from 5500 to 7800)

The factory told me it is no problem to send it and make 1/4 and 1/2 chockes in and sent it for steel proof (using pressure 1050 bar, proof cartr. 1360 bar). Also GDR shotguns. I have not done it because that is too much papers to do (would cost more then the work of the factory).

As far as I know the only bi ammo is at time Eley and cost around 2,50 per shot. It does not depend much on the Cal. 20 are as expensive as 12's. For 16 I have first to look I have my 16ga only a few days. But usually it is not difficult to get 16ga much better then 20 or worst is 28.