16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  One would think it would be simpler...
Roper
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Since there is not a lot of choices for components, reloading 16's should be easy...right? Wrong!

Half of the recipies call for wads that are either obsolete or you just can't find 'em. Clones by folks like Ballistic Products don't note what hulls they can be used in.

Powders are not ones usually used in other gauges (12 and 28 in my case).

And primers vary also (209M's 209A's and such).

Am I missing something easier...? I know my 16's are sweethearts to shoot and I'd like to load 'em up myself to have more choices to shot size and velocities, but dang if I can find a recipie that won't be sending me all over to buy new powder, primers, or unobtainable wads...
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Join the low pressure group on this forum and you will have enough recipes to make almost anything you want or need. It is the first post titled "Announcement" on the ammo & reloading forum.[/i]
Norm
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I sent for info from the reloading group to find out what's been tested, so I can get an idea of what I'll need and is available locally. Check the local gun shops - I found a bag of the R16 wads that had been there for years. Other than that, I'm waiting to hear from Russ about what others use.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Norm have you received the email with the invitation to join the "16gaugereloades" yet? If you have you do not need to wait for the disc you can access all of the load data.

As far as components I keep it simple.

Cheddite (Winchester Super X) hulls get Winchester 209 primers, Gualandi 1621 wads also called SG16 wads and 1 ounce or 7/8ths ounce of shot. The 7/8th ounce loads need a filler such as puffed wheat/rice Styrofoam discs cut to 1/2 inch or 1/8th ounce 28 gauge card wads in the bottom of the shot cup.

Remington SP (Black or Green hulls get Winchester 209 primers, Remington R16 or Gualandi 2025 also called the SG20L wads and 1 ounce of shot in the R16 load or 7/8ths ounce of shot in the Gualandi 2025 load. The 7/8th ounce loads do not need a filler.

I use Unique Powder for all loads.

The Gualandi wads and Cheddite hulls are available from Graf & Sons and shipping is free with a minimum order which makes them cheaper than any other source I have found.
Roper
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:19 am  Reply with quote

TB, that's what I was looking for...19 gr. Unique, CCI 209, SG-16, and 1 or 7/8 oz. of lead.

According to the LPG this should work in Federal Purple hulls with paper basewads...true? Would swapping W209's make a difference at this low pressure?

Grafs seems to have the best price on wads, 500 @ $11.00
nossman
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:13 am  Reply with quote

TB,

I like the idea of the puffed wheat as filler. How much do you find that you need to use, per shell? I'm just getting started with reloading. I joined the low pressure group awhile back and have been looking over some of the recipies.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Roper there has been quite a bit of discussion on what affect the different primers have on pressure. I always stick with published data when it comes to primers because of the wide range of pressures.

Nossman you will have to experiment a bit to see what amount of filler is required to get a good flat crimp but I would start by adding enough filler to fill the case to within 1/4 to 3/8th inches of the case mouth. Puffed wheat is pretty forgiving as far as fillers goes and will crush down so you don't have to be too exact.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hello All, puffed wheat is ok but I like Cheerios, very easy to handle and no mess, do not get the sugar coated ones :>)) Enjoy the day, Mike p.s. a great snack while you are loading also
Norm
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Haven't received an email invitation yet. Just mailed the check to Russ on Thursday. I'm going to shoot some clay birds tomorrow to get some empty hulls ready Very Happy .
nossman
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks TB & skeettx! I am just getting started with reloading, and figured I will have some experimenting to do. Any cool little tricks like this should help to make the learning curv a little easier & the reloading fun, not to mention sweet shooting custom loads. Maybe with some soft 3/4oz loads, I can get the gf out for some clays.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:44 pm  Reply with quote

Roper--The W209 is a slightly hotter primer-drop the powder by .5 and you will be allright. I don't see any problems