16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Win WAA16 Wads
sneem
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

I came across some loading recipes that call for this wad. I understand it is no longer made. Are they available? If not, is there another wad that is an acceptable and safe substitution?

Thanks, Sneem
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

They are available thru some of the auction sights at about $30.00 a bag of 250. There is no direct replacement yet. Join the 16ga low pressure loading group and you will have enough options to use untill the new 16ga wad from charles is available from Down Range.
Best,
Ron
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

sneem wrote:
I came across some loading recipes that call for this wad. I understand it is no longer made. Are they available? If not, is there another wad that is an acceptable and safe substitution?

Thanks, Sneem

Winchester stopped production of the WAA16 and Compression formed 16 gauge hull in 1999. About as close as you can come is the Remington R16 wad which is the 1 ounce version of the Remington SP16. The R16 is not quite as efficient as the Winchester AA16 in the older Winchester compression formed hull so pressure and velocity are somewhat less. So far the the R16s have only been available in 5000 count case lots. Someone may have some extra R16s they would sell more reasonably than the highly sought after WAA16.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:30 pm  Reply with quote

The load manuals are outdated Evil or Very Mad Ignore the overpriced AA's and invest the 30 bucks with the low pressure group--contact Russ to get started-RWG