16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Simson Suhl O/U
ColtM1911A1
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:58 am  Reply with quote

I've read about as much as I could about Simson Suhl and its relationship with Merkel and Sauer, however, I still have a few questions and have found this board to be quite knowledgeable. I would like to know what model Merkle or Sauer I have in my Simson Suhl. Here are the markings on the shotgun and a brief description:

Serial number is: 182734 -- any idea when made?

Blued (O/U) barrels with rib and a single bead up front. Wood is nice walnut (nothing too fancy) with typical hump European cheek rise with 25LPI hand checkering on the forearm and buttstock -- it has a checkered pistol grip.

The receiver has the pewter style coloring (dull silver) and overall pewter look, and engraved on the left side are two rabbits (hares) in full run. On the right side is dog with duck in mouth coming out of the water. On the bottom on a raised plate is a 'little man' who seems to be hammering out a sword on an anvil...

The barrel has a silver soldered sling swivel attached a couple inches in front of the removeable forearm (typical lever style Merkel release) and the barrel is ribbed with a single bead at the front. The buttplate is plastic and has the same 'little man' (exact copy of the bottom receiver) hammering out the sword with the word SUHL below...

On the bottom of the receiver block is a raised rectangle with the 'little man' inside. Above him is --- MOD. 100E... Below the same 'little man' is the single word 'SUHL". Any idea what model Merkel or Sauer this equates to?

Inside proof marks show: 281, and center below of the 8 ia a 'N' and centered below that is a proof circle with crossed sabers...

On barrel next to the proof marks reads 12/70mm...

Right side (visible outside) of receiver block reads: Spezial - Laurstahl...

Left side receiver block (visible) reads: Simson Suhl and below the name is stamped: Made in GDR

So, if you have any information on this O/U I'd appreciate it. I bought this Simson for $600.00 as the sear timing was off and the second barrel would not fire (not engage the sear), but that was an easy fix once I found the special screwdrivers needed to take down these timed screws (classy)...

My thanks in advance. Any information would help, whatever amount you might have...

Jack
JonP
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Would help a lot if you could find the proof date on the barrels--will be a 3 or 4 place digit like 367 or 1074 or similar. This will help determine where this gun was made.
Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

ColtM1911A1 wrote:
---Serial number is: 182734 -- any idea when made?---Inside proof marks show: 281, ---

This gun was proofed in Februar 1981.

The action box should look as this picture - which, however, is of the same gun as a combination with scope:

Pete
ColtM1911A1
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Yep, OS, that's what the action box looks like except with different engraving...

So, I now know it was made in Feb 81, thanks to you Gentlemen...

Any idea what Model Merkel this would equate to -- BTW, I didn't mention it before, but it has a single trigger with no way of switching barrels, with the bottom barrel firing first. Also, no indication what the barrels are choked for, but I would presume one if full and the other is either MOD or IC...

Thanks again and look forward to some more input if it's available...

Jack