16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Are all of a manufacturer's low-base cases the same?
8mmFan
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:42 pm  Reply with quote

I have recently been setting myself up to start reloading. I have a Mec 600 Jr. Mark V in 16 ga, a 600 Jr. in 12 ga, and a 600 Jr. in 20 ga. I've bought them all from eBay or Craig's List, and they all came with a lot of mixed cases. I also have a lot of leftover mixed cases accumulated over the years.

My question is this: I have several hundred Winchester AA low-base cases, for instance. But some say "light target," some say "AA," some say "heavy target", etc. It's a similar situation with my 20 ga and 16 ga cases. Are the low base cases from each manufacturer, Winchester, Federal, Remington, etc., going to be the same for reloading purposes, even though they say different things on the outside of the case?
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:15 am  Reply with quote

All Winchester AA, low brass hulls are the same. However, they are not the same as Federal or Remington low brass hulls.
Also, for example. A 16 gauge Cheddite hull is loaded the same, weither it's a low brass or a high brass. The only difference is the height of the brass. And they cost more. Wink

riude
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:05 am  Reply with quote

I´m totally newbie with shotgun reloading, and now I´m bit confused:

Is low-BASE same as low-BRASS?
Somehow I though low base means heigh of base wad or something like that.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:45 am  Reply with quote

riude wrote:
I´m totally newbie with shotgun reloading, and now I´m bit confused:

Is low-BASE same as low-BRASS?
Somehow I though low base means heigh of base wad or something like that.

I think your confussing low base with the base wad.
Low base, low brass, or 8mm brass are the same.
High base, high brass, or 16mm brass are the same.

Now when it comes to base wads, this is inside the hull.
And the height of the base wad can vary from one hull brand to another.
Just as it can be made of paper or plastic.
Molded as part of the hull or a seperate piece.
Some hulls are prone to having the base wad come loose and lodging in the barrel. This will cause a possible blown barrel if not cleared, before firing the gun again.
Hope this helped.

8mmFan
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:19 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys. Very helpful.

Another question...what is Cheddite? Is that a brand? I have never heard of Cheddite shells. Also, is it true for AA shells as well, that you can load high and low brass the same, as long as it's from the same manufacturer? All very good and very interesting info.

Also, what is the effect of loading OLD shells alongside NEW shells. In other words, a lot of the shells I got with these MEC reloaders look like they could be 15-20 years old. Can I load a 20 year old Winchester high-brass shell the same as I'd load a Winchester AA light target shell? Thanks again. 8mmFan
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Cheddite is a brand of hull, I use them alot in my low pressure 16 gauge loads.
Yes, all Win.AA hulls are loaded the same, regardless of brass height.

Winchester has used several different style hulls over the last 20 years, as have others.
Being that you are new to reloading, I would strictly follow the loading data for the hull you are using. For simplicty reasons, I would try and standardize the hulls you are using for each gauge.
For example, all my low pressure 16 and 20 gauge loads use Cheddite hulls. My standard 20 gauge loads use Rem. STS hulls.
My low pressure 12 gauge loads use the Win.AA hull, and regular loads use the STS hull. Black powder loads use the Fed. Paper hull.