16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gun for my father...
bbrown
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

The ‘kids’ (we’re all late 20s early 30s) in my family are looking to get my father a shotgun for, well he just deserves it for raising us right and being an incredible example of what a Godly man should be. We were going to wait till he retires (2015 or so), but we want him to enjoy it while he can still hit the fields. We hunt mainly pheasant and quail in central and western Kansas, with the occasional dove hunt mixed in.

He has always been a fan of the 16ga. In addition to a multitude of other guns, he has owned a couple of late 1970s Ruger Red Labels, a Sweet 16 Model 11, a Sweet 16 A-5, and multiple 16ga Model 12s. But just like that sweet car you owned that you should have never sold, he has only held on to a single 16ga Model 12. He broke down a few years back and bought a Benelli Montefeltro 12ga, and that is what he currently hunts with, but I know he would enjoy another 16.

We are looking at getting him a 16ga O/U, preferably from an Italian gun maker, light enough to carry till he’s 80, and not so nice we have to mortgage our houses to get it. He has mentioned he really likes the lines of a Rizzini, and I know that RizziniUSA has 16gas on their website. Does anyone have any ideas for us? I know there are several different Rizzinis, but I don’t really know the difference. Are these good guns? Does anyone have any other manufacturers that we should consider?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, and any input is much appreciated. I have thoroughly enjoyed the conversations on this site and thought this would be a great way to do some research. Maybe Monday’s announcement will answer all of my questions at once, right Charles?

Thanks for your help.
chilly460
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

There are actually several "Rizzini" gunmakers, I believe you're probably referring to B. Rizzini, also known as Rizzini USA. They no longer import guns under that name though. They do make 16ga guns, but I'm not completely sure if it's ever been verified that they're on a true 16ga frame if that is important to your father.

Another "Rizzini" is F.A.I.R., which makes guns based on a true 16ga frame. These are very nice guns at various price points. Do a search on this site and you'll find quite a bit of info on them. They're also no longer imported under that designation, but they're pretty easy to find on various auction sites, and larger resellers online.

If you could break from Italian made guns, Browning makes the Citori and 525 models on a true 16ga frame, and they're currently in production. These guns are much livelier then their 12ga counterparts and would be fine guns for the uses you have listed.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Hello bbrown:

You just might be pleasantly suprised on Monday , will have to wait till then and YOU let me know if you are or not .

LONG LIVE THE 16GA.

Regards Charles
bbrown
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

Charles,

I am anxiously looking forward to the news. If it is as big as it sounds I might have to be looking at one for myself.
postoak
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

The F.A.I.R line of F. Rizzinis goes by Cortona these days - they make their 16s on a 16 specific frame.

http://cortonashotguns.com/