16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Theodore Roosevelt had good taste
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting quote from Hunting Trips of a Ranchman published in 1885

"I have two double-barreled shotguns; a No. 10 chokebore for ducks and geese made by Thomas of Chicago; and a No. 16 hammerless built for me by Kennedy of St. Paul, for grouse and plover. On regular hunting trips I always carry the Winchester rifle, but in riding round near home, where a man may see a deer and is sure to come across ducks and grouse, it is best to take the little ranch gun, a double-barrel No. 16, with a 40-70 rifle underneath the shotgun barrels."

This was long before his Fox, Ithaca, and L.C. Smith - a 16g 5E shipped in 1909 and now at the Cody Firearms Museum. Sounds like he had 2 16s in North Dakota Cool

Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
---a No. 16 hammerless built for me by Kennedy of St. Paul, for grouse and plover. On regular hunting trips I always carry the Winchester rifle, but in riding round near home, where a man may see a deer and is sure to come across ducks and grouse, it is best to take the little ranch gun, a double-barrel No. 16, with a 40-70 rifle underneath the shotgun barrels.

That means that he had got a triplet, like a german drilling. It would be interesting to see pictures of it. I have read about american triplets but never seen one.

The triplet is a fine gun for strolling around in the forest, when you don't know if you will encounter a deer or a grouse. I have got one, and it is that gun that I carry most often.

Pete
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:59 am  Reply with quote

Pete: we usually adopt the German term drilling. Here's a 1906 ad

W.H. Baker and Company started making the Baker Three-Barrel Gun in Lisle, NY in 1877 prior to joining L.C. Smith. Most were 10g over .44-40.

ejsxs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:31 am  Reply with quote

If the Germanic countries have stick to their drillings for so long it must be a good reason. In my view the best balance in the power/weight equation for such a gun is a 16x16 Ga with a 7x57R, 8x57RJS or 30R Blaser rifle barrel underneath. Scoped with a quick release system. EJSXS
XVI'er
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

It's been my good fortune to handle and shoot two drillings- both in 16x16x7X57. Both had a neat pop-up tang rear sight. I still want one , but I have too many needs at this time.

They handled pretty fast for 25" barrels! Laughing

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

I have always understood there are two reasons for the drilling.Gun ownership is extremely limited-read one gun per person- and the handiness of both a rifle and shotgun---The Savage 24 series for us. I grew up with a .410/.22 o/u that was wore out by the time I could afford both rifles AND shotguns.On a sidenote T.R. would be horrified of the current political situations concerning wildlife ,hunting and gun ownership in general Evil or Very Mad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:52 am  Reply with quote

From Through The Brazilian Wilderness written by Theodore Roosevelt in 1914

“For arms the naturalists took 16-bore shotguns, one of Cherrie's
having a rifle barrel underneath. The firearms for the rest of the party were supplied by Kermit and myself, including my Springfield rifle, Kermit's two Winchesters, a 405 and 30-40, the Fox 12-gauge shotgun, and another 16-gauge gun, and a couple of revolvers, a Colt and a Smith & Wesson.”

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Boy, was I way off the beam on this one Rev. I thought you were going to share a secret recipe for the preparation and cooking of an ex-president. Laughing
Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:10 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Pete: we usually adopt the German term drilling. Here's a 1906 ad

W.H. Baker and Company started making the Baker Three-Barrel Gun in Lisle, NY in 1877 prior to joining L.C. Smith. Most were 10g over .44-40.

The old Baker advertisment looks quite fine. It is sad that american gunmakers didn't go on building these guns.

Drillings are the perfect guns for an all day hunt. In the early morning you can sit in the stand and hope to get a roe or a moose. Later at noon you pass the nearby lake, where you want to bag some mallards but instead you shoot a fox. And all that with the same gun. For that reasons these drilling are popular here, mostly with a claw mounted scope. Those who do not afford, usually use two barrel combos.

Pete