16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  trap with a 16ga
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

My range is pretty informal, and as long as none of the annal-retentive high-score guys are around, I often tell the puller to just surprise me, and let 'em fly when they see fit, and shoot low gun. Its great practice for early flushing pheasants, and adds some fun to an otherwise boring game. Not calling for the bird keeps you focused.
People frown at my course when I shoot sporting clays with only one box of ammunition. They all shoot two, but, like I said, I'm cheap.
Best,
Ted

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:13 am  Reply with quote

I shoot trap and sporting clays with my Citori 16ga all the time. I use Rem Game loads in 7.5s mostly but also Fed Game loads in 8s.
I use a Full choke for trap and variety for SC.
Unfortunately this year due to surgery in March I'm not shooting anything. Crying or Very sad

Amarillo Slim
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

My son at age 17 started shooting registered trap with my 16 ga Citori. He broke his first 25 straight shooting the Citori with 1oz 7 1/2's. Unfortunaly when shootong registered targets at sanctioned shoots the coaches wanted him shooting a 12 ga.
He started shooting my older Winchester 101 trap and shot very well with it. This is his second year in interscholatic high school trap and has broken 50 straight and missed his 75 straight by one target at the High School shoot at Linn Creek MO. two weeks ago. For graduation I bought him a Browning XT trap with 32 " bbls and adjustable comb. The gun seemed to fit him perfectly right out of the box. Although he shoots the Browning XT for trap, he still hunts and shoots SC with the Citori 16. The Citori's are still our favorite shooters and probably always will be.

Slim
XVI'er
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:58 am  Reply with quote

Spot on, Slim. Wink I still long for my 425 with 30" barrels.... Oh well, I'll get one in the distant future.

rayb
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

Shoot trap, usually by myself, low gun, with whatever 16 gage has made it to the range that day. The range has voice activated throwers, so no problem. I also shoot 20 gage shells in the 16 break open type guns using the chambermates. The 16's are usually Federal game loads. 1 oz shot, and the 20' are 7/8 oz loads. I can't tell the difference between them at 16 yards.

Your ideas and experiences may vary

rayb