16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  ANY RETIRED FOLKS HERE & STILL HUNTING?
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

I was fortunate in retiring from federal service at 55 and I could carry my insurance as long as I pay all the premium. I made age 60 and found out I quallified for Tri Care because of my Air Force reserve retirement. Between the two I feel very fortunate indeed.
Ron
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

mtjim wrote:
Just curious - what do you guys who are retired <65 do for medical insurance?

I will have worked in Law Enforcement for 33.5 yrs when I leave next year. I get 80% of my medical paid through the pension. The other 20% I have covered through investments over the years. Wink

chorizo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Retired USMC. Military medical insurance , TriCare Prime.

walt lister
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Secure Horizons medicare supplemental ins.

WPGriffon
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:21 am  Reply with quote

I retired 5 years ago at age 57.Worked 30 years for 3M Co. 31/2 years ago I bought a Griffon pup and trained it. About two months later I bought the 1st of my 3 16 gauges, an o/u Browning. I hunt every day possible during the Wi grouse and woodcock seasons. .
Tree
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

Pulled the pin last sept 1. Quit shooting when i lost my son 6 years ago.
I then started selling and giving to some family menbers some of my 40 different guns. Got down to my older thing and my dads 11-48 was sitting there.Took it out and shot some bird early in the season.I started with a 16ga 50 year ago.Now have a browning o/u to go with the 11-48 and looking for a s x s.I'd like to thank you guys on this site for all the info that is posted here.This retirerment this is great,go for it as sone as you can.

Tree
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Retired painting contracter.
going on 70 years and am still going strong. Have a year and a half old GSP/lab that I trained from 8 weeks old. He' been hunting since he was 4 1/2 months old. Now thinking about getting another pup to train. I go up to the local preserve twice a month just to keep us all in shape. Just waiting for the grouse season. Good reports around here again. A lot of drumming and a few broods being sighted. It's going to be fun this year as the GSP/Lab cross is developing into a steady pointer.
bird dog
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

I am not sure if I am retired or just underemployed. I walked away from the "RAT RACE" at 57 and never looked back. I retired from the Navy after 22 years and worked as a govt. contractor for 17 years. I am now 63 and have worked??? as a guide on a shooting preserve in W VA September thru April for the last 5 years. I guide about 3 days a week with my 2 Brittanies for pheasants, quail, and chuckers. When not working??? I get to hunt for left over birds. I also guide goose hunts, when in season, for friends and a few regular clients. I enjoy guiding with the two dogs I trained (for better or worse) about as much as I do hunting. It is a real pleasure to share bird hunting over good dogs with people that want to hunt and enjoy the traditions I love.

Mike

caplock
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Tree
Welcome back to the world of 16ga & welcome to the forum

Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

Caplock:
I retired a couple of years ago at 59 and a buddy and I bird hunt about 5 months a year. He has been retired for about 10 years and every year during grouse season he would tell me work is over rated and always getting in the way of our hunting plans. I got tired of him ribbing me so I joined him with no regrets.

Our favorite hunting is for grouse and woodcock and last year we rented a place in Michigan for the month of October. We enjoyed it so much we are renting another spot for the month of October this year. It is tough to find the right spot that is close to hunting coverts we know, but that makes for a fun search. Our requirements are a cabin where we can let the dogs out and not worry about them. We also have to be able to walk out the door and hunt at least one covert. We have been fortunate to find a spot both years. Last years cabin was sold, so we searched for another and got lucky for this year.

We talk about going to Montana but we have never made it. Enjoy your trip and let us know the outcome.

Chicago Mike
mtjim
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:53 am  Reply with quote

Chicago Mike,

You are living a dream of mine!!! Go! Go! Go!

Smile
gfreire
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:19 am  Reply with quote

I'm 55 and hope to retire at 60. I work for a company with a very underfunded retirement program, so several month ago I stared to go to a financial planner to help me get set up for retirement, with additional investemnts etc. Hopefully this will help me achieve my goal. Living in Idaho there is plenty of hunting and fishing to be had so there will be no lack of things to do.
rayb
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

It is easy to retire, just staying retired is the hard part.

Retired 1988-
Retired again 1996 -
Retired again 2005

Now working for myself. My boss lets me off to go hunt occasionally, or go to the local gravel pit - pistol/rifle range and try out whatever I've acquired in my wanderings. But I have to make up work time in the evenings or whenever I can. It helps that the normal commute to work is 2 minutes, by way of the coffee pot.

Health care has been Tricare Standard and the VA. I will be introduced to Medicare Part B in 3 months, not by choice.

rayb