16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington Sportsman -- pictures up
grouser47
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Found a 16ga Remington Sportsman (assume mod 11)described as in very good to excellent condition 28" mod bl with center bead -- dont know if the rib is solid or vent -- in all likelyhood solid. The seller is sending me some pictures.
I have never seen one up close and personal but I assume that because they look like my A5 Browning that they are very similar on the interior mech's. Are the framed as a 16/12 or 20? Any pros, cons and other info would be appreciated. BTW the seller is asking $325 -- hows that?
Cheers/thanks!
John
Just got these picts (most likely refinished but who cares )-- Think I'll take it! Very Happy

Last edited by grouser47 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, The Sportsman should be like the 48 or 11-48. Let us know what you find out, Mike
mdm1
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

I think there was a Sportsman 11, Sportsman 48, and a Sportsman 58. The Sportsman designation just meant only two shells could be loaded in the magazine.
ARFLY
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

Sportsman was used by Reminngton on several different guns over the years. Sportsman was originally a less expensive version of the mod. 11. I think most parts should interchange with the mod. 11. The forarm and magazine cap are very different between the two. There was also a sportsman 48 which was basically a 48 or 11-48. Both of these are recoil operated guns. There was a sportsman 58 that was a predecessor to the 1100. The Sportsman 58 is gas operated. In the 80's Remington used the Sportsman name again on a pump gun that was a less expensive version of the 870 wingmaster and on an auto loader that was a less expensive version of the 1100. I think these were only offered in 12 ga. though. The gun you're looking at is a Remington and a 16 ga. at that. It has to be good, but then I am a Remington guy. Whether or not it is worth $325 is up to you and depends on exactly what model it is and what condition it is in.
dmd
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:45 pm  Reply with quote

They were called Sportsman because they hold only three shells. The two I have seem to be as good of quality as the model 11 I have which holds the more "normal" five shots.
grouser47
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:05 am  Reply with quote

This "Sportsman is at least on the exterior, a A500 -- It was made in several grades. I will post pictures when I get them. Anyone know if these are on 16 frames????
Thanks, John

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Not sure if this will be helpful, but here goes.

I have an older 16 gauge Remington 11 (5 shot non-Sportsman) and it's action was about an inch longer than a Browning "Sweet Sixteen" that I had. I just accepted that the older model 11 was on a 12 gauge frame and even though I was a little let down when I noticed the 12 gauge frame, I shoot the gun so well that really, who cares?

Then I kept noticing that the Sweet Sixteen just seemed to feel "fatter" than the Rem 11 around the girth of the action, so I got out my dial calipers and found that my old Model 11 action was slimmer side to side and top to bottom than the Sweet Sixteen. It's only about a tenth of an inch either way, but you can feel it. Soooo, the old 11 action is longer, but where my hand carries the gun it feels better! "This one" weighed only about 4 oz. more than "that" SW16. They all vary in weight a little depending on the configuration.

So anyway, after fiddling around with some A5's (SW16's and an A5 "Twenty"), I'm completly content to stay with my old 16 gauge Remington 11 for my token humpback in the safe. It's been a pretty lethal pheasant gun to boot!
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:31 am  Reply with quote

grouser47 wrote:
BTW the seller is asking $325 -- hows that?
Cheers/thanks!
John

I'd take it if it's in real good shape. These are going to go up in price at some point and I'd get a good one while the gettin's good!
grouser47
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Pictures have been posted at top -- nice gun Very Happy

mdm1
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

My opinion, $325.00 well spent. Nice looking gun.
ARFLY
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

That is an awesome looking gun. Let us know how it shoots.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

I can't tell by the pictures if it has the Remington engraving (pheasant) that I like. My gun is plain in that regard Crying or Very sad but it has that same checkering at the one you're buying. As long as the metal is pretty decent and the interior barrel is good, I'd say you got a good deal on a great gun.
grouser47
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I can't tell by the pictures if it has the Remington engraving (pheasant) that I like. My gun is plain in that regard Crying or Very sad but it has that same checkering at the one you're buying. As long as the metal is pretty decent and the interior barrel is good, I'd say you got a good deal on a great gun.

The gun does have a pheasant engraved on the right side and a duck on the left. There were 8 grades in the mod 11 with "The Sportsman" being a variation of it. The sportsman had 3 grades, Field Grade, Riot Grade & skeet Grade. I suspect this to be Skeet Grade, if it is a Sportsman, because of the ribbed barrel with the centre bead. The seller calls the choke, modified, but may be skeet II which was in all likelyhood not uncommon. It may have been altered because the 16gs Sportsman S#'s run from 200,000 to 250.000 while the # on this one is 1529805. Confused Although the seller calls it a Sportsman, because of the serial #, it may be indeed a Model 11 Tournament grade -- we will see. Half the fun of buying these old guns is the research. Very Happy
I'll let you know what transpires.
Cheers and thanks for the comments!
John