16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Unique/ Old vs New?
1ozload
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

I have 5lbs of older Unique that I inherited. It's 20 + years old. I can't for the life of me get a consistent powder drop. It is all over the place. The bushings, like I said give all kinds of numbers. My question is has the shape/size/etc. changed in the last 20+ years? Would that be causing the issues?? I only load hunting loads and I have a bit that needs to be used and was hoping that one of you outstanding individuals may have an answer. Is there any way to ensure consistent measurements each time? I appreciate any feed back. Thank you.
Samuel_Hoggson
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

Best as I can tell flake size didn't change much. You're supposed to go by weight, meaning that you may need to use a different bushing vs the old Unique. I've used lots of old and new, and found the new stuff just a smidge faster - grain for grain.

There are a number of possible reasons for the inconsistency. I would want to rule out a static problem, of course. Clean out the drop tube/bushing. See if there isn't some piece of crud interfering with consistent drops. Those shot bag strings find their way into about any small space.

I use a powder baffle, but don't forget to keep the powder bottle at least half full.

I had a problem with my 20 ga press and light charges of Promo for 5/8 loads recently. In the end it was my technique. Now I make sure to have a very definite pause at both full up and down. I also have a slight pause after powder drop to allow powder to drop before allowing the plate to rotate. If you've ever loaded 296 in the .410 you know all about the need for this technique adjustment. Since doing this stuff my inconsistent reports have disappeared.

Usually, it's something simple.

Sam

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

As a general rule, I rarely accept powder from anyone unless I really trust them with my hands and eyes. I've heard of some "old timers' mixing various types of powder because they felt "there wasn't a whole lot of difference between them"... I also have seen reloaders that keep their powder in either their garage or basement with little concern towards any climate control. I have one room set in my house where all of my powder and ammo are stored under normal temperture levels and we have little humidity concerns being in California. Powder is a relatively cheap component of your shotgun shell and I would be very hesitant to use inherited powder where I did not know its maintenance over the past 20+ years. The fact that you're not getting consistant drops gives me some concerns over the condition or mixture of your powder...

Good luck...
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

If your press is free from obstructions and your technique is sound that leaves the powder to be the problem.Compare your powder to a known sample and note any differences--is it clumpy,notice any odor,etc. I would also be leary of any unknown powder origin--Just because it is in a ABC container does not make it that powder.Powder can actually gain potency over the years as the chemical composition changes--Occasionally I am given powder and it ends up as fertilizer for the garden Wink
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, 20 years is not that old for properly stored powder. If the powder pours properly from the can, I suspect static. One of the easiest ways to check it to use some dish washing liquid and lightly, I did say LIGHTLY, coat the inside of the powder drop tube and the powder storage tube and along the drop path. Did I mention lightly?? Let it dry and measure away. Let us know how this works for you, Enjoy the day, Mike
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Are you using a Mec press? If so take all your bushings and toss them. Put a powder baffle under your bottle. I like the plasctic one. Take those powder bushings and toss them as they just plain don't work. Get a universal charge bar(adjustable) and your problems will prolly end.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:37 am  Reply with quote

Moisture content will also affect how a powder drops and how it weighs. Too much moisture will cause it to clump and will cause inconsistant drop weights. Try leaving the cap off your canisters and store the powder in a warm dry location away from sparks or electric current for a couple of weeks. A nice warm attic or an unused upper story room on the sunny side of the house is perfect. Simply put a piece of paper towel over the tops to keep out any dust or contamination. The excess moisture will evaporate right through it. An old nylon stocking will work too.

A powder baffle on a Mec is almost manditory for all gauges above .410. Since H110 and WW 296 ball meter so well, and the drop weights are so light, a baffle is not required for the little gauge reloaders.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Captain_Billy wrote:
Are you using a Mec press? If so take all your bushings and toss them. Put a powder baffle under your bottle. I like the plasctic one. Take those powder bushings and toss them as they just plain don't work. Get a universal charge bar(adjustable) and your problems will prolly end.

If you haven't tossed those bushings to far, toss them my way.
And I'll toss you the piece of crap, adjustable bar.
I have my bushings honed and marked for just what I need.
Always on, and no adjusting required.
Install bushing, check drop, go to loading. Wink

mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:45 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes