16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Does anyone have data on the pressures for factory loads?
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Your situation is like someone trying to swim when they hold the edge of the pool while trying to swim the crawl. I get the question from beginning fly fisherman on how to become proficient when taking up fly fishing. I alway tell them that need the leave their spinning rigs at home, so that it forces them to get good in their new hobby. Getting good with your 16 means putting a lot of ammo through it to improve the comfort level with your new gun. In an earlier post, there was a link for RST shells. I know they're a little pricey at $10/box for the 7/8 ounce loads but IMHO, you would be better off to buy a few cases of those shells and shooting a bunch of clays rather than mess with the gauge mates. I know some people that use those things but they're like a bore sighter, good enough to get you on the paper but doesn't dial you in...

You need to figure what the overall cost of your SD trip will run you and figure that spending a couple hundred on target ammo to get good with your gun is smart money...

Just my thoughts...
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Ray Terry has given you some good advice but before you order the RST find some Winchester Super X 1 ounce loads. Winchester is currently getting them from Australia. They are loaded to a velocity of about 1150 fps and are the lowest recoiling load of any of the current promotional 16 gauge loads. If it is still too much recoil you can order the RST which is very good ammunition.
sixteen
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't seen any of the Winchester loads at any the stores around here, but I will pick some up if I see it. I have some boxes of fiocchi that I will shoot until I can get set up to reload. If I can't get set up to reload fairly soon I may have to bite the bullet and order some RST shells. I still have almost 2 months before my trip.

Thanks

Ray
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:57 am  Reply with quote

K Mart used to sell Winchester Super X. I'm not sure if they still do but their prices were pretty good.
sixteen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks,

I will look.

Ray