16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  low recoil load
cpltimmi
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Hi, I need a low recoil 1oz or 7/8 oz load everything Ive tried from the low pressure reloading group hammers me using my aya 453, thanks
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:57 am  Reply with quote

You might want to have someone check your gun fit. My 6 pound Foxes are very comfortable to shoot with a 7/8th ounce load at about 1200 fps.

Try the Unique load in the Remington hulls at that velocity and if that doesn't tame the recoil drop back to 3/4 ounce of shot.

Remember felt recoil is a function of weight of the gun and velocity and weight of the shot charge or projectile. If you want to reduce recoil you must either increase the weight of the gun or reduce the velocity or shot charge or both.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Good advice by Twice Barrel. A 1 oz. load at 1,200 fps in a 6 or 61/2lb gun can bang you pretty good. Back it down to 7/8 or 3/4 oz. and I would back the velocity down around 1,100 for target loads.

Matt
Samuel_Hoggson
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

I load 3/4 oz in RGLs using the SG20L wad for all practice and competition. I use enough Green Dot to get about 1250 fps. Very nice in my M-12s.

I like 3/4 oz much better than 7/8 oz. I get hulls by having Pumpgun fire my 1 oz factory loads in his BPS and 870.

Sam (the wuss)

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:46 am  Reply with quote

Some folks still believe that more shot translates to higher scores. This notion no longer applies in many cases. Today's ammo and greatly improved loading componants are far more efficient out of a modern shotgun than most folks realize. My experience is that the 3/4 ounce load in a 6.5 pound 16 is very comfortable to shoot. The 7/8 ounce load is okay too as long as the velocity is kept to 1150 FPS or under.

The one ounce 16 ga load is a hunting weight load. It allows the use of shot bigger than #7 without losing too much pattern density. It is not necessary for recreational skeet or trap shooting. 3/4 ounce of #8.5 or #9 shot will break every skeet target you deserve. 7/8 ounces of #7.5 shot will smoke a trap target just fine as well. I personally use the 3/4 ounce, #8.5 load to good effect on trap singles.
sixteen
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

I have no direct personal experience with the AYA, and I have not even started reloading yet, but in the book "Shotguns for Wingshooting", John Barsness relates that his 12 ga. AYA kicks hard with Winchester extra-light (1 oz 23/4dr) target loads because the bores are under-bored by current standards. Barsness claims that this under-boring combined with a wad designed for an overbored target barrel, leads to the increased recoil. He also claims that a 1 oz field load with higher velocity than the extra light fired in that gun recoiled less because it had a smaller diameter wad intended for a field bored barrel. I don't know how this can be squared with the recoil formula, but that is what he wrote. If he is correct, and your gun has smaller than average 16 ga bores, a smaller diameter wad may help. Just thought that I would bring it to your attention.

Ray
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

sixteen wrote:
I have no direct personal experience with the AYA, and I have not even started reloading yet, but in the book "Shotguns for Wingshooting", John Barsness relates that his 12 ga. AYA kicks hard with Winchester extra-light (1 oz 23/4dr) target loads because the bores are under-bored by current standards. Barsness claims that this under-boring combined with a wad designed for an overbored target barrel, leads to the increased recoil. He also claims that a 1 oz field load with higher velocity than the extra light fired in that gun recoiled less because it had a smaller diameter wad intended for a field bored barrel. I don't know how this can be squared with the recoil formula, but that is what he wrote. If he is correct, and your gun has smaller than average 16 ga bores, a smaller diameter wad may help. Just thought that I would bring it to your attention.

Ray

I am not familiar with Mr. Barsness but the following is the formula for calculating recoil:

If you're interested in recoil you may calculate it for any gun with the following formula:

E= 1/2(Wr/32)(WbxMv+4700xWp/7000xWr) squared

E= energy in foot pounds
Wr= weight of gun in pounds
Wb= weight of whot and wad
Mv= muzzle velocity in fps
Wp= weight of powder in grains

This does not reflect FELT recoil with a recoil management device but does give accurate energy transfer at a solid butt plate.

You will note that bore size and wad diameter do not enter into the equation at all.

I will withhold my comments on the knowledge of the average gun writer.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Shoot the 3/4 OZ load, that is the true square load in the 16 bore with plastic wads .

I am currently loading my wad in a RGL Hull with 18gr . Rex - 1 with 5/8 OZ of 7.5's and this is what I am going to shoot in the Dakotas this Saturday on Sharptail .

I love my 3/4 OZ loads it does more than even I can ask of it . So I am going to try the 5/8 OZ this go around , we shall see what happens .

Regards Charles
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

There is a web site I found that has an easy to use calculator for figuring recoil. Try this site
www.rfgc.org/reload/recoil_calc.htm