16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  SR7625
BFA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

A friend of mine gave me some SR7625 to try in my 16 Ga loads. Using a load from the LPG with RGL hulls, WAA16 clone wads and 1 oz of shot I loaded up 5 shells to try at the range on Thursday. They crimped very nicely. This is some very fine powder, I haven't loaded anyhting like this since I loaded .410 with W296 about 15 years ago. It seams like static effects it in the powder bottle, a lot of it is sticking to the sides. I weighed each drop and it looks like it is fairly consistant.

I am going to also load 5 Green Dot and 5 Unique and see which powder out of the three performs the best.

I am not really worried about low pressure. I am just trying to pick out one good all around load.

Overall what do you guys think of SR7625?
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Use a laundry drier static sheet and wipe it on the out side of your powder hopper. It should discharge and neutralize your sticky powder flakes. Wink
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:50 am  Reply with quote

I use SR-7625 almost exclusively in 16 gauge loads. It's a great powder, and you'll find it's allot cleaner than Unique. It's not the cheapest powder going, but I load 95% low pressure loads.

woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:40 am  Reply with quote

7625 and it's slower cousin 4756 are all I have used for many years now. IMO those two powders can be used to cover all reasonable loads for the 16 from 3/4 to 1 1/8 ozs.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

What about 7625 vs. Longshot? Longshot seems to provide low volume, higher velocities than 7625, and low pressure. The only drawback is higher recoil. I haven't used 7625, but i do see it listed on a lot of the low pressure recipes. How does it compare to Longshot, especially for shorter (2.5", 2 5/8"), low volume loads?
brdetr
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

All I load is 2 1/2 low pressure loads. This is because some of my 16's are chambered that length, some have damascus barrels and some have both. It makes it easier to load all of my 16 ga shells the same and never have to worry about which ones I grabbed. Wink

I have used both longshot and 7625. I prefer 7625 and use it exclusively. This is because it burnes cleaner, meters great, seems softer to shoot and smashes targets. 7625 is a little more elastic too. Looking at data, longshot will increase it pressures quite quickly once you hit a certain amount of powder. You never know when a bit extra powde might slip in. Not good news for the older guns I shoot.

Believe me, I try to justify buying a cheaper powder, but can't do it. One blown barrel or busted gun is more expensive than the difference of powder price for years of shooting. 7625 is the one powder that "does it all" for me. I hate seeing all the goobers in a barrel when I am done for the day and safty comes first. I guess I am willing to pay for this!

Hope this helps.

Brian

16crazy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

I loved it and burned up a bit over 30 lbs of the stuff in 12 gauge and 16 gauge. Great for low pressure loads. Great smell.

In 12 gauge I have shifted over to Red Dot and E3. In 16 I burn Unique, largely because I got a keg almost free.

I would burn it still if it was $90 per 8lb keg.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

Great info. Especially with regards to the increased pressure with longshot in even small amounts. All right then, here's the big question: What is a good 7625 low pressure recipe(under 8kpsi) with a 2.5" or 2 5/8"" Federal plastic hull, SG16 or Z16 wad, fold crimped?