16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Made a mistake reloading - need some help!
Rick Timmers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

Well here it goes. I'm working off the data from the 16ga society data pool. Here is my mistake. I inadvertinely reloaded 7/8 oz of shot for a reciepe that calls for 1 oz. Can I safetly shoot these shells. Here is the receipe I reloaded:

Federal Hull, 22.3 gr of universal, 7/8oz of shot, Win 209 primer and SG16ga wad. For a velocity of 1220 ft/sec. The problem again is this receipe was supposed to include 1 0z of shot. Can I safetly shoot these shells. Or do I have to throw them in the trash? What can I expect if I shoot them?

Best,

Rick
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:09 am  Reply with quote

Rick Timmers wrote:
Well here it goes. I'm working off the data from the 16ga society data pool. Here is my mistake. I inadvertinely reloaded 7/8 oz of shot for a reciepe that calls for 1 oz. Can I safetly shoot these shells. Here is the receipe I reloaded:

Federal Hull, 22.3 gr of universal, 7/8oz of shot, Win 209 primer and SG16ga wad. For a velocity of 1220 ft/sec. The problem again is this receipe was supposed to include 1 0z of shot. Can I safetly shoot these shells. Or do I have to throw them in the trash? What can I expect if I shoot them?

Best,

Rick

Rick,
The original load with 1 oz. should be 1220 FPS?
Normally, you're now 7/8 oz. load should have a higher velocity, and a lower PSI, than the original load.
If I was shooting this in a modern gun, I wouldn't be concerned about it.
How many shells did you load?
Regards, Dave

Rick Timmers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:17 am  Reply with quote

Dave,

I reloaded about 150 shells. And I am shooting it out of a brand new Italian side by side.

Best,

Rick
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:56 am  Reply with quote

Rick,
The 1 oz load I found that was real close to your load, showed 1220 FPS at 8200 PSI. So, with a 7/8 oz. payload, instead of 1 oz, I would GUESS
that your 7/8 oz load will be around 1300+ FPS at -8000 PSI.
Wait and see what others have to say, but I would shoot a few and see what they feel like. I honestly think you'll be okay.
Dave

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:45 am  Reply with quote

I think you'll be OK, too.

Just as in metallic cartridge reloading, the powder weight goes down as the bullet weight goes up. So just by dumb luck, you erred in the right direction.

I would load up the correct recipe and shoot them in comparison to your mistake loads, getting a seat-of-the-pants feel for their performance. Or, to be 100% sure, send off 5 of the mistakes to Tom Armbrust for pressure testing.

Ballistic Research
Tom Armbrust
1108 West May Ave.
Johnsburg, IL. 60050

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:48 am  Reply with quote

I'd shoot 'em. Like Dave said, the pressure shouldn't be a problem.. If the crimps are decent and they shoot well you might have stumbled on to a nice load.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:49 am  Reply with quote

I'd shoot 'em. Like Dave said, the pressure shouldn't be a problem.. If the crimps are decent and they shoot well you might have stumbled on to a nice load.
robp
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Rick -
I wouldnt chance it better drop those off at the minneapolis gun club c/o Rob Paetzold
I will dispose of them for you Very Happy
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Shoot em-up!

I doubt you will be able to tell the difference, as others have stated, you went in the right direction for the mistake. Wink
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

I would shoot them. The pressure should be lower than the same load with 1 ounce.

The only real risk is that the pressure might be low enough for a squib load which could leave a wad stuck in the barrel. I think this is very unlikely but since you are shooting a SxS just look down the barrels before reloading to make sure they are clear.

Be sure to enjoy shooting the low recoil loads. Jack was shooting his 1 ounce reloads today and when he ran out he shot my 7/8 ounce reloads - he immediately noticed the reduced recoil.
birddog
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:47 am  Reply with quote

Rick,
All things being equal other than shot. You will have no issues. The heavier the shot load calls for less powder and vice versa.
Shoot em up!
Charlie
SageRat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:10 am  Reply with quote

I use a 1 oz powder charge and load 7/8 oz of shot and have for quite some time now. Pressures should be lower and velocity higher as stated earlier. I have loaded and shot many flats of my receipe using 17 grains of GD or REXII with a 1621 Gualandi wad in a Remington case. And it does not take a lot of choke to get good patterns at 30 yards and further.

Lenard