16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Spreader question - from "made a mistake thread"
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:58 am  Reply with quote

I have been following the "made a mistake thread" and found it very enlightening.

I am just about to make up some spreader loads for early season grouse using polywad spreaders.
The thread had got me thinking a bit (dangerous I know) about potential loads.

From the thread it seems that I can take my favourite 1 oz load, remove 1/8 oz lead and replace it with the spreader. Because the spreader weighs less than 1/8 oz lead he discussion infers that the change to the load would be a small increase in velocity and a small reduction in pressure.

Am I on track with this, or am I setting myself up for problems?

Thanks Ajax.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:06 am  Reply with quote

When loading the Polywad spreader insert, that is exactly what you're supposed to do. Take your favorite load, remove an 1/8 oz of lead, insert the spreader, and crimp like normal. I do it like that all the time, with 12, 16, and 20 gauge loads.

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:13 am  Reply with quote

Right on track. Those PW Spreader inserts do work. They also take the place of an overshot card in rollcrimping for the spreader loads. I use them out of the first barrel or the first round out of the 11-48 for upland work. Good luck, Mike

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

Rather than taking shot out, I just remove the petals from the wad, which creates even more spread in the pattern, and it takes up about the same amount of space as the 1/8 oz. shot, without hurting your pattern density. Since I shoot a 100 yr. old gun, I prefer to shoot loads with the wad petals removed anyway, to more accurately simulate the pattern the gun was designed to shoot (before plastic wads were invented). It works well.
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan, just to be sure I understand your method....
Take my normal 1oz load, cut the petals off the wad, add the full 1oz, and add the spreader. Is that correct... if so it sounds very interesting.
Ajax.
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

I do not remove any shot. I use whatever load I want, then simply insert the spred-R insert. I surely hope I have not been doing this wrong. I have never experienced any problems, nor am I loading anything to the extreme on pressure.

What wad are you using and removing petals? That would be like the old brush load wads? I am going to give that a try to.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:00 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

Dont forget what these inserts are for. They negate the affect of a tighter choke. According to Jay Menefee, removing the petals from the regular wad can defeat the purpose of the Polywad spreader. The insert works by containing the shot behind it until the shot column leaves the barrel. This causes the shot pellets to leave the barrel enmasse as if from an open choke. They collide with each other until they spread out and disperse quicker. That is exactly how an open choke works.

Removing the petals from the wad allows the shot pellets to release the insert stem sooner. The premature release allows the pellets to string out more. The pattern will be tighter, not more open as some folks assume, because once the pellets string out, they do not collide as much with each other and they spread more slowly.

I use the Remington R16, 1 ounce wad to get a 7/8 ounce spreader load. I use the exact same charge of Green Dot for these spreader loads as I do for my regular 7/8 ounce loads using one 28 ga card wad in the R16 shot cup. Pressure and velocities are identical. For a full one ounce spreader load, I simply substitute the SP-16 1-1/8 ounce wad for the RP16 wad. I use the same charge of Unique I always do for my regular one ounce loads. I can do this because the SP16 simply keeps the shot/wad column the same length as a normal one ounce load using an R16 wad does. Nothing else changes.

You are on the right track by removing 1/8th ounce of shot if you are using a one ounce wad cup. If you as not loading a maximum load and are using a moderate powder like Unique or Herco for your one ounce load, you could safely add a 1/2 grain of powder to ensure a clean burn and good velocity as well. or you could drop back to a slightly faster powder like Green Dot. You can also go to a 1-1/8 ounce wad and load the full 1 ounce of shot so as not to thin out the pattern. In this case, simply load the rest of the recipe as is. Either way works fine.

Good luck. These spreader inserts work perfectly if you crimp them neatly and don't change the wad cup. A good neat, even crimp is critical though, so make sure you do it. The even crimp works to keep the insert's top disc square and the stem centered in the shot column. The even crimp also opens evenly as well. this ensures the disc will stay put in front of all the shot as the column leaves the shell mouth and the muzzle. Tip the disc in any way so the shot gets past it and the affect is compromised. Hope this info helps you.
Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

So, I have a favorite 1 oz load. I can safely use that same load data and simply insert the spred-R? Because that is what I have been doing.

I am using the Trap Commander wad. So far, I have experienced no ill effects.

Now, does the same hold true for the spreader X insert? During pattern testing, I could not detect any difference in the effect between the two devices. I have been using them with the same load mentioned above.

I have used some 2.5" loads with spreaders too, in an older gun. I just want to make sure everything is safe for me and the gun!
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch in theory that should work but if you want to be absolutely sure ship three hand weighed loads to , Tom Armbrust, 1108 W. May Street, McHenery, IL 60050 along with $15.00 and he will run them through his pressure test barrels.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Hootch, if your original load is a moderate and safe one to begin with in your gun (that is, not a max pressure load already), and you have the room to insert the polywad spreader into the shot from the top as directed, and still get a good even crimp, then your load will perform at the same velocity and pressure it usually does. The insert will not significantly raise the pressure or change the velocity in any meaningful way. These inserts do not weigh enough to matter. If they are inserted correctly, they will not cause any added resistance to the ignition forces beyond what is normal for that specific shot/wad column. So load away and enjoy your efforts. You should be on safe ground.
Hootch
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.