16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Can Bullseye be used in a 16g
muzz
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Has anyone used Bullseye in a 16g?
Let me tell you where im going or rather where ive been,then someone might tell me where im going or where ive gone wrong.
Trawling though old Herculese loading data.
They give 12g 1oz. loads @1200fps. using Bullseye.
The lowest pressure quoted was 5600psi and using a variety of hulls,primers and wads pressures in the 6/7/8 and 9000 psi range. Nothing serious there!.
Reducing the shot charge to 7/8oz. and the powder one or two grains, putting it in the 16 to 17 grains range.
Fast double based powders usually like mild primers, so with the right primer does it not sound reasonable that a good 16g. even low pressure load could be made using Bullseye ?
pumpgun
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:52 am  Reply with quote

It's likely do-able, as a 3/4-7/8 oz. load in Federal, or Cheddite type hulls, or 3/4 oz. in an RGL. I'd start with 13 gr. in an RGL, and 14 gr. in a Cheddite hull, and adjust as needed to get 1175-1200 fps, then submit for pressure testing. Do so at your own risk, of course Wink
I'd have to come accross a lot of cheap/free Bullseye to bother with all this though!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:16 am  Reply with quote

I've never used it in the 16-have in 12--IMO I would use a more appropiate powder(read burn rate) for lighter loads.It takes a lot of cheap powder to make up for a blown gun/barrel Embarassed
Hlavoun
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

Bullseye is a very fast powder that spikes in pressure with very small amounts of powder increase. I would not do it.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Bullseye will be a VERY USEFUL Powder for the 5/8 OZ , 11/16 OZ , 3/4 OZ and 13/16 OZ loads in the 16ga .

Regards Charles
muzz
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Charles,
That was very authoritative, thanks.
If you have or are likely to get any ballistic data on it,Id love a peek.
Why did you stop at 13/16 oz. 7/8 oz. is only a 1/16 away.
Thanks again
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

He likes big numbers for small loads, it sounds better. Wink
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:44 am  Reply with quote

Hello Muzz :

7/8 OZ is pushing the envelope for pressure versus the useable velocity, you can still safely create a sub 1100 fps load in 7/8 OZ .

The jump to 20ga would be way to much of a decrease in internal volume to be safe but in the lightest payloads , but with the 16ga being in the middle then we are in another light , with a wonderful compromise of volume ( lower pressures than 20ga ) and the ability to lighten up the shot weights to use A VERY ECONOMICAL POWDER WITH WONDERFUL EFFICENCY such as Bullseye . ( ie at this pressure and burn rate these powders are really clean burning )

In a few weeks when the wad mold is in Downrange's hands , up and running then we will start to publish data on these type of loads .

And if you will remind me if I forget I will run the loads on Bullseye up thru the 1 OZ and get you concrete data for you to understand , you will have to be a little patient with me for I have a gillion things going on right now but if you will remind me from time to time I will get that done and send you the data for you to put on the fourm for all to see .
REMEMBER this is a high energy powder and will be somewhat unforgiving when you attempt to increase the payload beyond a certain level then attempt to get velocity with it .

I feel this fast a burn rate powder is at its best with the lower payloads and it is not worth it to try and exceed its range .

The next powder in line is Red Dot and it can load 1 OZ loads but I personally would never go there for I see no use in anything for upland hunting above a 7/8 OZ .

Unless I have to shoot some factory 1 OZ for some reason , I will never shoot reloads more than 13/16 OZ EVER AGAIN .

Regards Charles
muzz
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:52 am  Reply with quote

Charles,
Thanks a trillion,will you use a very mild primer ?
muzz
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Charles,
If you can find a mild enough primer,when you try the 7/8oz. load Im hoping that you may be pleasantly surprised.
Regards
muzz