16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  7/8 oz of 6's in a 16 ga.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:37 am  Reply with quote

TB, if I were a pheasant with a good sense of humor, I would have been doing just that. Perhaps I should have been looking for their feet kicking up in the air as they were convulsed with mirth. Laughing
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

16gaguy had a very hard time indeed , I give it my best guess to put him in range of birds and each time it was exactly the opposite of what I thought was correct .

I had very poor luck in getting this done but I suppose GG had worse luck of being in the right place at the wrong time or the wrong place at the right time , but he didnt have much chances at all .

But he was above me and witnessed a crossing shot at 46 paces that I made with 5/8 oz of #9's and also another snap shot down in a ditch with a high bank where all I seen was the tail end of the bird that I wounded , but I got the bird with little ole sweet Peaches help it ran about 25 yards and hid with Peach rooting it out .

GG also witnessed me missing 3 birds with both barrels , birds that got up in front of him and Amie and crossed me at about 45-50 yards .

The gun I was using was a set of barrels that I picked up from a collector and now I know why , the barrels were bent real bad so I placed them on the press and got them somewhat back straight ( not to my specifications though ) so I took the chokes out to .003 in each barrel to make it a short range barrel , so I decided to hunt with the gun to see how bad or good it was , never having shot the gun before .

I shot 3 birds at 10-25 yards and thought I would just take it out in to the open fields , boy was that a mistake and went and shoved it back in a sleeve real quick like and got some of the known guns out for the rest of the hunt .

I ended up shooting 7 birds with the 5/8OZ # 9's with Wayne and Jeff Williams witnessing 3 of those shot at 30 yards or so and coming down dead the only one not dead was the snap shot that GG witnessed behind the pond bank and I just caught the tail end of that bird .

This is not enough for a good test and I will be going back to Standing Rock in a couple of weeks , I will shoot some more birds with this load ,perhaps by the end of my trips I will be able to make a determination as to the merit of this load .

Post Oak & Stack 16 witnessed the 3/4 OZ of 7.5's on a few birds ask what happened there .

By the end of the hunt we brought to bag 56 Pheasants and 13 Sharptail

Thanks GG for a wonderful visit and all the help in getting the items for the give away on film to Aaron , I appreciate all of your help just sorry I put you in the worst locations every single time , I usually dont have that kind of luck but this time I sure messed every angle up indeed .

Regards Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:11 am  Reply with quote

Charles, I'm not complaining. I made my own bed. I should have brought the 12 Superlight. I didn't. We both can take lessons away from our experience. Everyone makes mistakes. Only a fool refuses to learn from them.

It was my pleasure to witness the look on Aaron's face when he felt the generosity and kindness being bestowed on him. I hope it proves to have the positive impact on him we intended it to have. His people have gotten the short end of the stick for too damned long. I want them to know that not all white folks are typical self-centered wa- shee-chus (those who grab the fat.) It is not a matter of debt or a guilty conscience. That time has past. It is a simple matter of right and of wrong. I hope the young Lakota and Dakota men and women learn to truely stand up for their people and take their place as wise and generous leaders. Then the nations will be strong once again. To do this, they must have hope. These were gifts of hope and but a small gesture of good will from one people to another. If we continue to plant these small seeds of hope, then perhaps there will one day be a harvest of great joy. Was'te.