16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading fiochi hull question?
spr310
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I bought some used fiochi hulls. When I got them half were split bad at the crimp. I cut them off below the crimps. I found a recipe for 3/4oz loads. 2 nitro cards and a fiber wad. It called for a 2 3/4" hull, but I thought I'd try one of the short hulls. 20 grains of clays powder, the 2 nitro cards and fiber wad, 3/4oz. shot. I used only 18.5 grains of powder. It fit in the short hull with an overshot card. Will this create any problems using the shorter hull?
[img] [/img]
steve voss
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:15 am  Reply with quote

NONE!

You'll love 'em. Nice crimps, by the way. Very Happy

sv

putz463
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 am  Reply with quote

...... Will this create any problems using the shorter hull?

Nice job, they should feed fine if using a pump or auto, the only issue I can envision is if the recipe you have used is at the upper preasure limit for a fold crimp (doubtful). The roll crimp usually adds a small amount of preasure to a folded recipe....but you're probably already aware of that.

Recently I've done a simillar thing to some RGL hulls and just kept cutting back until there was no need for filler just a modified Rem SP16 wad cut back to a brush wad, 7/8oz shot, an overshot card or polywad spreader insert and roll crimp. The hull ended up being 2.30" avg length, an avg internal length of 1.93" and the avg finished rolled shell was 2.14"+/- long. One aspect that is really neat about these shorties is instant load recognition...shorties=light or brush load.

I do a simillar thing to some 10ga rounds making load recognition a snap, that with some luck will become necessary in a couple of hours. Quack-Boom-Splash...it's a duck thing.

Thanks for sharing, gotta go set some dekes Very Happy Mike

PS.....by the way where did you get that load data in the background of the picture?

spr310
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:35 am  Reply with quote

putz 463. The recipe was for a roll crimp. I use BPI's 16 gauge manual. That's what was in the picture. The only guns I'll be using them in is my Citori Lightning or my Baikal 16 gauge O/U. I may try them in one of my 16 gauge BPS's. After taking off the factory finish on the BPS's and finding some nice wood underneath, I don't like to take them off the wall. Don't want to nick them up crawling in the woods chasing the grouse.
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:49 am  Reply with quote

putz463, what is the data for load you just described? You are trimming petals off of SP16 wad, 7/8oz and a spreader insert, what powder, how much, hull and primer?
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:36 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Hootch"]putz463, what is the data for load you just described? You are trimming petals off of SP16 wad, 7/8oz and a spreader insert, what powder, how much, hull and primer?[/quote]

Hootch, black 16ga RGL hull trimmed back with a 1/2" CPVC + Exacto blade hull trimmer set to 1.9375" or 1 15/16" internal length yielding a hull length of 2.30"+/-, w209,16.5g Greendot,Rem SP16 trimmed with scissors so that just a 1/16" or so of cup is left set with 40-50lbs in a 600JR,7/8oz,OSC or Polywad spreader, roll crimp. Sometimes I need to put an OSC over the Polywad inserts because they tend to not fill the mouth of the hull up and shift a little when drawing the roll crimp down. The finished shell was averaging 2.14"+/- and I fire them out of modern guns either an 11-48, a Citori upland special or an O/U guild gun. They work great so far, nice light recoil and instant load recognition. The hull mouth doesnt get too distorted and usually just some quick hand work with the tip of a small funnel is all that is needed to resize the plastic. Hope this works for you, Mike

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="putz463The roll crimp usually adds a small amount of preasure to a folded recipe....but you're probably already aware of that.
[/quote]

How did you come to this conclusion?
In all my testing, the roll crimp has been less PSI than the same load in a fold crimp.

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Dave Miles"][quote="putz463The roll crimp usually adds a small amount of preasure to a folded recipe....but you're probably already aware of that.
[/quote]

How did you come to this conclusion?
In all my testing, the roll crimp has been less PSI than the same load in a fold crimp.[/quote]

Hey Dave, I found a pressure increase in my magnum 10ga and 3" 20ga loads that was confirmed in conversations with the folks at BPI. I just assumed it was true in the 16ga loads as well and have been staying on the lighter side of the recipes. Since you have seen different I will be sending a couple of loads over to that preasure testing guy I've read about on this sight and see for sure. Thanks for the heads up. If they are a bit off maybe I can speed them up a bit. Mike

Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the data. I may give that a try. Always on the look out for a good quail load.

I have never reloaded Rem hulls before.