16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reclaimed shot
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

I picked up a bag today for 25 bucks! It's a mix of 6, 7.5 and 8 apparently. Sounds fine for recreational clays and quail/grouse. Can't beat the price. Has anyone tried it on birds and found it unacceptable?
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:51 pm  Reply with quote

I had a real cheap a** (operative word...had) that would reload the reclaimed shot and use it for shooting blackbirds that were knocking his rice heads right before harvest. BTW, he followed the proper Fish and Game reg. regarding protection of agricultural. Since the reclaimed stuff worked well on the slow moving black birds at 20-25 yards, he decided that it would be right stuff for doves. Since we would travel a few hundred miles to go hunt doves and after you pay for the gas, motel and food, the saving from #1 lead versus the reclaimed stuff was too slight to be counted. On that particular strong north wind opener, the birds were flying fast and sometimes long shots were the norm. Since he only brought his reclaimed shot even when I had told him that it wouldn't hurt to bring some good stuff along just in case; he had a miserable shoot while the rest of us still got our birds. I could say that I was a real nice guy and gave him some of my own ammo but he had the personality that he needed to learn things the hard way or he would keep making the same mistake.

IMHO, reclaimed shot works fine for clays esp. skeet and where you need a open pattern but if you do some patterning with that shot, you will notice a distinctive dropoff in your shot pattern.
Frank Lopez
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Terry Imai wrote:
I had a real cheap a** (operative word...had) that would reload the reclaimed shot and use it for shooting blackbirds that were knocking his rice heads right before harvest. BTW, he followed the proper Fish and Game reg. regarding protection of agricultural. Since the reclaimed stuff worked well on the slow moving black birds at 20-25 yards, he decided that it would be right stuff for doves. Since we would travel a few hundred miles to go hunt doves and after you pay for the gas, motel and food, the saving from #1 lead versus the reclaimed stuff was too slight to be counted. On that particular strong north wind opener, the birds were flying fast and sometimes long shots were the norm. Since he only brought his reclaimed shot even when I had told him that it wouldn't hurt to bring some good stuff along just in case; he had a miserable shoot while the rest of us still got our birds. I could say that I was a real nice guy and gave him some of my own ammo but he had the personality that he needed to learn things the hard way or he would keep making the same mistake.

IMHO, reclaimed shot works fine for clays esp. skeet and where you need a open pattern but if you do some patterning with that shot, you will notice a distinctive dropoff in your shot pattern.

Ditto!

Frank
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Excellent feedback. Thanks! My Lefever does throw a pretty tight pattern, but I'll stick to using the reclaimed shot for clays regardless. At least it makes reloading for clays economically feasible again.
fastarget
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

Used it for trap, but you have to go a choke tighter than customary.
Would be ok for skeet, lots of flyers in the pattern........

It is inconsistent in the way it meters from the reloading machines, sometimes you get 1oz somtimes much less, and others in between....

cheap to play with.