16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Taper Crimp on 2 9/16" Shell
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:05 am  Reply with quote

Gents,
You may have been following my adventures in reloading short shells. The 'new' 1939 A5 performed admirably at the trap range this evening, but my reloading with a P/W 800 has failed to produce a consistently feeding round. The dies are too long and the taper crimp station leaves a slight flare on the head of the hull that is just enough to preclude easy feeding. Trolling the net for ideas on roll crimping I stumbled across a thread that has led to the EUREKA! moment.
After running the hulls thru the 800, I sized the last 1/4" of the head with a MEC SuperSizer using a 20ga die backed off to give a finished .725" diameter.
This means the finished shell drops in to the barrel without a hint of hesitation or hang up. Very quick and easy, one extra step in the reloading process, but at the cost of an extra 2-3 minutes per box and zero $ outlay, I'm pleased!
Cheers! {:o)
R*2
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:27 am  Reply with quote

Russe11 you can also taper out the loaded shell by putting them in a roll crimper for a few turns. The old antique hand crimper works as well as the type that is used on an electric drill. Used this on some 12 gauge hulls that weren't coming out of my PW 375 as nicely as I wanted.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
Russe11 you can also taper out the loaded shell by putting them in a roll crimper for a few turns. The old antique hand crimper works as well as the type that is used on an electric drill. Used this on some 12 gauge hulls that weren't coming out of my PW 375 as nicely as I wanted.

TB,
That's where I thought I was gonna' have to go. The MEC SuperSizer does a quick easy job, completely adjustable as to amount of "squeeze".
Cheers,
R*2
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

shootingsioux wrote:
Another re-loader comes to grips with P-W's inferior crimp scheme. Get rid of it and buy a MEC 600 Jr or Sizemaster, which can easily be set up for short shells, or, if your shells are 2 3/4 inch you can use any MEC progressive. Follow the instructions and you'll have nice taper-ended shells for your auto, and you will have quite a bit of money left over. Send me a PM if you want an explanation.

SS,
I have four P/W 800s, fully progressive machines, all set up with taper crimping, sorry, the single stage MEC's just don't cut it IMHO. The P/W taper crimp set-up works great on a 2 3/4" shell, got no problems with them in semi-autos, 12, 16 or 20ga. Don't have a 28ga or 410 semi,,,,,, lol, yet. Using the Supersizer as a final tweak on the 65mm 16ga hull shell mebbe cuts my production rate down to only 2-300 an hour. Try that with your Jr, {:o).
BTW gents, seein' as how you're both sporting the avatar n I just joined the 16ga Low Pressure Group, does that qualify me for the "Society" avatar?
Cheers!
R*2