16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Gualandi Wad Question
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

Bronco wrote:
I am loading 2.5in Cheddite hulls using Gualandi 1 oz wads. My supplier, Graf&Sons, has them on back order. They have Cheddite 1 oz wads. Are these wads interchangable? Thanks, Bob

Bob,
I've just started reloading the 65mm hull, (possibly a more correct and accurate term for the short 16ga, leastways that's what's stamped on the Belgian barrels, (16 65), ). I got an assortment of wads from Grafs, and have on hand the GU1621 & GU1618, check above for the difference on those two.
The Cheddite 1oz has a much deeper shot cup, the GU's are actually purposely built to have a certain amount of the shot above the cup, the theory being that this acts as the outside of the "doughnut" pattern shape with the cup contained shot acting as the dense core in the "doughnut hole". Breaks birds for me anyway.
With my 7/8oz load and the current set-up on my Ponsness, I found that I had to put a cardboard overshot card when using the Cheddite. Lovely flat crimp, works fine too. Seein' as how I've got about 3000 of the Gualandis, guess which one I'll be using,,,,.
As 16gg points out, be prepared to juggle your total load column with a variety of techniques to get a good crimp.
Cheers,
R*2
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Don't miss the fact that Gus wants to use the Polywad spreader insert in his load. The shallow Gualandi shot cup works against the insert due to the stem and it's function. If the stem is shortened significantly, it defeats the insert's design. There is no real good way around this sticking point. The insert needs a deeper shot cup to work the best.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes