16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Question: 20ga subgauge insert in 16ga chamber
greg
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a 20ga insert in a 16ga 2 1/2 chamber? Will it fit? will it allow full pressure 2 3/4in 20ga loads in a low pressure 16ga 2 1/2in chamber gun? How would it pattern?
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Hello All
Are you talking about these?

http://www.lothar-walther.de/html/224.php

I have a set of 4 to take 12 down to 16 and REALLY like them. I shoot full up loads in mine. But I am not using low pressure guns.

Who will you get to make a 20 gauge 2 3/4 insert for a 16 gauge 2 1/2 gun?

Enjoy the day
Mike
JAE 16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Skeettx,
Are the 12 to 16 gauge incerts split like some of the other ones. If they are do you have any trouble with the brass sections splitting on the hulls.
I would luv to shoot 16 gauge in my 12 gauge o/u, I like the o/u just hate to have to find another gun that I shoot this well). any help would be great.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Hello,

No, they are not spilt, well machined, they do not have ejectors, just act like 12 gauge shells and come out of the gun to have the hulls poked out and inserts reloaded.

I have been thinking of making a set of 16 gauge ejectors for a Remington 3200 and then cut a slot in the inserts so they would stay in the gun, BUT in the last year I have bought MANY 16 gauge guns so have put this project on hold.

Enjoy the day
Mike
JAE 16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:44 am  Reply with quote

Skeettx,
Thanks, that does sound like a bit of a pain.I wonder if my ejectors would catch the rim of the 16 gauge shell. Then all I would need to do is notch the incert like you mentioned.
Thanks again,
Jason
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Jason,

Not a real problem, I shoot skeet so have 4 inserts, and change out ammo between stations, Really works out quite nicely. AND, And, and if all goes well I shoot two shots at station 8 low house.

For hunting, they also would not be a major problem unless you were hunting doves in Argentina.

Enjoy the day
Mike
JAE 16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Mike,
True didn't thinks of that, it could work out well.
Only on a good day do I have the extra to burn on the low house!!!
Thanks again,
Jason
TJack
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:59 am  Reply with quote

I have posted questions about the silver "gauge mates" on another board, 16ga to 20ga reduction. But I can tell you that in some older guns there are problems with headspace or chamber sizes that prevent the gun from closing smoothly if at all. This is probably due to the wide variations in headspace and chamber dimensions. Also the split in the side of the insert will often lead to the splitting or cutting of the hull, O.K if you do not reload. In some of my 16's, the fit and function is fine, and it sure helps to be able to target shoot with cheaper 20's in a 16ga gun. Patterns are fine, velocity, is actually increased a little, pressure, unfortunately, remains about the same. I can tell that recoil with the 20ga 7/8 oz is much less than any 16ga 1oz load.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

This may be a dumb question, but on the simple aluminum tube reducers like the little skeeters, couldn't they just be trimmed 1/8 with a hacksaw to fit shorter chambers? I have wondered this myself so I can shoot 20ga. loads in my 2 1/2" lefever.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:22 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but on the simple aluminum tube reducers like the little skeeters, couldn't they just be trimmed 1/8 with a hacksaw to fit shorter chambers? I have wondered this myself so I can shoot 20ga. loads in my 2 1/2" lefever.

Dan,
You might find that the 2 3/4" 20ga hull would blow out at the case mouth, and be hard to remove from the insert. Dunno'.
R*2
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:16 am  Reply with quote

Good point. I could see where that might happen.
greg
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

16ga to 20ga adapters for 2 1/2in chambers are available from Drillingshotline.com
Made in Germany specifically for 2 1/2in chamber, by Lothar. They come out with each firing and a fresh 20ga (2 3/4in) inserted in. There are adapters out there from gaugemate that slide back with the extractor to a point then stop and allow he subgauge shell to be finger pulled out.
They also sell the silver series that come out with each firing.
Question: if felt recoil was less when firing a 20ga in 16ga barrel, would not the pressure be lower? This is "overboring", such as the mossberg 835 3 1/2in 12ga which was accomplished by going to a 10ga bore to handle the then new 3 1/2in 12ga.
I would assume the chamber pressure to be the same but since a stainless subgauge adapter would increase the chamber strength significantly, and barrel pressure would drop due to the increased diameter of the overbore encountered by the 20ga load.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hello All
Give this site a try
Enjoy the day
Mike

http://www.drillinghotline.com/accessories.shtml