16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  overshot cards
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Anybody puching out their own overshot cards for the 16 gauge? The base of a 20 gauge will puch out a perfect overshot card. Found this out looking for a 17mm punch. Just cut out the plastic and make sure you take the primer out if using a new shell.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

That's a great idea. You mean you cut the plastic away and use the sharp edge of the brass to cut the holes with, right? What material are you using to make the os cards with?
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

I used a 20ga barrel that I cut off to 8" in length , placed on a lath put a chamfer on it and use a rubber mallet to punch out the cards with using a square of carpet with the backing side up .

I use larges sheets of single layer cardboard that comes shipped in on the bottom of pallets as a barrier to keep things from falling through the pallet.

I use them on all of my loads now .

Regards Charles
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
That's a great idea. You mean you cut the plastic away and use the sharp edge of the brass to cut the holes with, right? What material are you using to make the os cards with?

I use cardboard that I get from the licqour store. The packaging for some of the bottles is exactly the same dimensions as the overshot cards from BPI. When I make them I use the punch from the primer hole tool with a couple of washers on top of the brass. I hve a heavy sheet of cardboard under neath so I'm not bounding directly on the board I have underneath.
mdoerner
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

I use a 17mm arch punch to make my overshot cards for 16 ga. I used to use a 16mm punch, but the roll crimp sometimes gets by the overshot card because 16mm is a little undersized, so I went up to 17 millimeter. I punch OJ cartons, Half and Half cartons, and Milk cartons. FWIW.

Mike Doerner
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:21 am  Reply with quote

mdoerner wrote:
I use a 17mm arch punch to make my overshot cards for 16 ga. I used to use a 16mm punch, but the roll crimp sometimes gets by the overshot card because 16mm is a little undersized, so I went up to 17 millimeter. I punch OJ cartons, Half and Half cartons, and Milk cartons. FWIW.

Mike Doerner

Mike. where did you get the 17mm punch? What company makes one. I looked all over the web and could not find any.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:02 am  Reply with quote

Here's a discussion on the subject, you can get a cheap hollow punch set on Ebay, I use the 5/8" for 16ga, and spr310, I'm sure there's enuff meat in one to open it up a tad to give you 17mm OD on a wad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/H23-12-Piece-Steel-Hollow-Punch-Set-with-Case_W0QQitemZ110315690752QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110315690752&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=153150&highlight=overshot

Or if you want to get professional, take a look at these, no prices, but nice lookin' tools! 11/16" is 17.46mm

http://www.csosborne.com/NO149.HTM

Or just order some from this guy, he's got it covered!

http://www.circlefly.com/html/wad_sizing_chart.html
Rockydog
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

I use a 20 gauge base to cut mine out also, but I drilled the primer hole out to 1/4" and put a 1/4 X 2" stove bolt in it with a friction nut. I chuck it in my drill press and, using a soft pine board for a backer, I cut about 10 in a row with out stopping. I also drilled a smaller hole about 1/2 way between the primer and the rim and use a nail to punch the wads out of the base. I can cut out 100 wads in less than 10 minutes. I made another punch in the same manner from a 45-70 case and use it to cut out foam butcher trays for 16 gauge filler wads. I actually cut away 1/2 of the 45 -70 case for about an inch midway up the case and filled the base with acra glass tapered off at 45 degrees. I just keep cutting and the filler wads just keep popping out of the side. If I run the drill at low speed they don't fly off the table. Otherwise it's like popcorn flying every where. RD
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

Rockydog wrote:
I use a 20 gauge base to cut mine out also, but I drilled the primer hole out to 1/4" and put a 1/4 X 2" stove bolt in it with a friction nut. I chuck it in my drill press and, using a soft pine board for a backer, I cut about 10 in a row with out stopping. I also drilled a smaller hole about 1/2 way between the primer and the rim and use a nail to punch the wads out of the base. I can cut out 100 wads in less than 10 minutes. I made another punch in the same manner from a 45-70 case and use it to cut out foam butcher trays for 16 gauge filler wads. I actually cut away 1/2 of the 45 -70 case for about an inch midway up the case and filled the base with acra glass tapered off at 45 degrees. I just keep cutting and the filler wads just keep popping out of the side. If I run the drill at low speed they don't fly off the table. Otherwise it's like popcorn flying every where. RD

Good idea. As I have two drill presses, one use for roll crimps, the other I'll set up like you did.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:42 am  Reply with quote

spr310, try McMaster Carr for the arch punch

http://www.mcmaster.com/

page 2262 in the online catalog.

Also, I remember a post awhile back someone taking a 5/8" hole saw and sharpening the saw teeth on a belt sander to a cutting edge and then screwing a bolt into the base threads then either mounting in a drill press or tapping with a hammer. Sounded like it should work but havn't tried it. If you do a seach for it I think there were pictures included in the post.

mdoerner, thanks for the carton idea, I'm going to try that. They should be water proof/resistant and a couple should be stiff enough to contain roll crimps.

aabradley82
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

i,ve been using the cardboard slips from primer trays. punch 2 ata time and cut down on clutter in the reload room. Now what to do with the primer tray?