16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  primers effect on pressure
Dave Esau
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:12 am  Reply with quote

I have been working up a 7/8oz load using new Cheddite primed hulls. I sent some loads to Tom to spec for me, and he found the pressure and velocity to low for practical target work. I had used 17gr. of Universal, under a GU1621 wad. He said I might try 19gr., which should spec. out in the 7500 to 7900 psi range, and a velocity in the 1100 to 1165 range, which I had mentioned was my goal,to use in my 1912 Stevens. He had wrote an article about substituting primers, and there affect on pressure. He had an example using the same load, but substituting a Win. 209 from a CCI209, both being standard, not mag. There was an increase of 2050 psi.
I have loaded some using 19gr. of Universal, but not had them speced. out yet. I thought I might be able to tweek it by changing primers, if necessary. They give a great pattern on paper,even at 40yds.,burn cleanly, and have a mild recoil, with 7/8oz of #8. Haven't had the chance to try them out on targets yet. I really like the clay powders, and the Universal in particular. It is in the middle of the burn rate chart, right below Unique. I would like anyone's thoughts on this. If this is just ramblings of an old fart, tell me and I will go away quietly. Embarassed

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

Dave I would have to say that you have found the load your looking for , congratulations .

Have fun with your new load and shoot one for me .

Regards Charles
spr310
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

Dave. According to what I have, you can go up to 20 or even 20.5 grains of universal with no problem. Using a w209 primer.