16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Data Request
salter16
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

I've got a mess of the black Rem. game load shells that I'm gonna use to take my first crack at reloading. I've got the Sapp's 5th edition Reloading for Shotgunners.

Based on the reloading chart, if I want a 1oz. load with the Remington SP16 wad, I'm limited to IMR powder.

The Alliant powders require either the BPDX16, BPSG16, or WAA16 none of which are in production (that I can find). I can't seem to find the Gualandi 1oz. wads (Grafs' is out of stock) which I understand are the equivalent of the BP DX16 listed in the chart. I see that BP has a Sporting 16 ga. wad. Any idea whether this is compatible with the Alliant powders listed above and the powder volumes listed by Sapp?

Any suggested recipes for 1oz. loads in these hulls? How about spacers with any particular wad?

I mainly hunt doves and shoot some clays.

Any pros/cons of the IMR powders. Any particular IMR type that would be recommended for or against.

Thanks!
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:19 am  Reply with quote

You indicated that you're limited to only IMR powders. I'm assuming that is what you have on hand. While 4756 makes a good 1 1/8 ounce load, most of the 7/8 and 1 ounce loads were using either Unique or Universal. I looked up the pricing for a one pound of either of those powders and they're under $20/pound. My suggestion would be to pick up a pound of either one after you joining the reloading group on this BB and get some good receipes. The SP16 is for the 1 1/8 ounce loads. You can use a filler card if you want to shoot a one load or put out a request on the BB for some of us that purchased a huge amount of the R16 to see if someone will sell you a little of their R16 stash.

Good luck on your reloading....
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:30 am  Reply with quote

Welcome salter16, As far as I know no one wad is compatible with only certain powders and vise versa. Usually It's more of a recipe driven thing thats dictated by what the shooter wants to acomplish.

If your looking for more recipes; Balistic Products Inc. publishes a 16ga manual that has a decent amount of recipes that incorporate a bunch of different components. The Low Preasure Group that can be joined via this sight is supposed to have alot of good recipes.

Also, try doing a search by clicking on the word search at the top of the page under the 16ga logo and follow the promp's for the RGL hull and you will find a bunch of great info already posted.

I like 4756 because it is consistant, clean burning, low volume.

BPI also publishes a Powder Manual that teaches the reader about the nuts and bolts of the more common currently produced powders. I feel it is important for any reloader to have in their library.

Hope this helps, and welcome aboard, Mike

jchandler
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:50 am  Reply with quote

Salter16

Wads for 16 can get confusing. The Gualandi wads can be purchased from Grafs ( 1oz wad listed as GU1621) or Ballistic Products listed as the Sporting 16 (SG16). The BPSG16 wad you listed is probably the Ballistic Products wad.

Although you can't find Winchester WAA16 wads in production, Claybuster has brought out a clone of the WAA16 wad.

As stated earlier, the 16 Gauge low pressure reloading group has lots of recipes to choose from.

Jeff
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Salter16,

Take a look at the Hodgdon's site. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

They have a lot of 1 oz recipes using the Remington Black Hull and Universal or Longshot. The recipe for 1 oz lead and Universal powder using the SP-16 wad makes a nice shell.

The Low Pressure group, and the Alliant web site are also good sources of recipes that you can trust.

I personally do not trust any recipe from Ballistic Products, as I have had bad experiences with them.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
SageRat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

One of my favorite loads for the 16 is, using Green Dot, 17 grains and 7/8 oz of shot. The Gualandi 1622 wad is perfect in the Remington case. I have shot about 6000 rounds with this load and it does very well.

Lenard