16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Merry Christmas everyone !!
rhtx55
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

May this be one of the most enjoyable holidays of memory, and the New Year brings all you have hoped for !!!

I am new to reloading, and am about to purchase either a new or used machine, and I was inquiring of the vast experience here on this forum if you could give your honest opinions of which machines you prefer, and why, to help me whittle the vast number of choices down to a few.
I shoot targets and clays and hunt when time allows. I am expecting to load 1000 to 1500 rounds at first, with expectations of increase after I become more proficient. I am familiar with the process, but would like some opinions on where would be a good place to start.

Thank you, and above all HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS !!
bcpifish
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:13 am  Reply with quote

rhtx55

Reloader choice hinges on many variables. How much money do you have/want to spend on the reloader? How many rounds do you plan on reloading per week/month/year? How much time do you have to spend on reloading? Is reloading going to be an enjoyable exercise in, and of, itself? Or are you reloading only to save a little money? What guage(s) are you reloading? And many more!

In general, if you are only reloading for 12 or 20 ga., you won't save much, if anything over shooting the cheapo factory loads. If you are talking about reloading 16 ga. - or the sub-guages - you can realize some some very real savings.

You said you were going to reload about 1600 hulls at first. If you can take your time and do only a couple of hundred a week, any of the good single stage presses - except for the Lee LoadAll - will do very well. I am personally very pleased with the results I get from my MEC 600 Jr., but many folks think the MEC Sizemaster is the way to go in single stage presses. In any case, I don't think you can beat the value for $$ expended on MEC presses.

When you consider progressive machines - well, the upper limit is probably the PW but the RCBS Grand has it's proponents also. The MEC 900 with an Automate is hard to ignore also.

It just depends on what YOU want and how much you can spend versus the time it takes to reload the quantity of shells you need.

Good luck, and if you have more specific questions don't hesitate to post.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
rhtx55
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

First of all Merry Christmas eve,
I plan on reloading 16 ga, 1500 to 2000 rounds a month, my budget allows $200.00 to $300.00, I plan on hopefully finding a used progressive machine, some I am sure would be difficult to get dies and parts etc. for, but I am hoping to find one set-up for 16 ga and the parts and pieces would still be available, or interchangeable with what is available now.
I was looking for advice on which ones to avoid, due to lack of available dies and parts. I have been searching on the net and have found many different makes and styles, some look like they were built to reload artillery shells, but made in the late 70's, I decided not to on availability of accessories.

Last edited by rhtx55 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
bcpifish
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:12 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think you will have much luck getting a good progressive in your price range, but you never can tell. I know some of the high-end machines can swap dies (guages) very easily, but as I've never owned or used one, I can't help with advice.

If you are only loading 150 - 200 rds/month a single stage will do everything you want. If that is indeed, the case, I would look very seriously at a MEC Sizemaster. You can get a new one for around $ 200.

And a very merry Christmas Eve to you, also.

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I have a 16 ga. Mec 600JR. that came to me on sale 4 years ago, new for $78 after a local garden/feed dealer who handled powder, shot and ammo went out of business. I shoot probably 2200-2500 16 ga. "target" shells per year that I load on this outfit. I really don't enjoy reloading but do it for the savings and because I can reload what I need (that can't be found at the Marts or anywhere else-- for a reasonable price.)

Unless you're high volume, the sturdy 600 JR. should do everthing you need it to do, and the sequential nature of it is hard to screw up. Welcome to the site---Merry Christmas....

PA24
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:39 am  Reply with quote

I've had two MEC's for over 30 years ( JR'S) and they are super machines...parts are easily available, MEC is on-line and great to deal with....what else would one need...unless they just want to listen to the sound of Hydraulics..best of all MECS are still priced well....solid machines.......the key is good mounting and a work station that is in a nice controlled enviornment...

Merry Christmas to All......Pray for our country !!

bcpifish
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:52 am  Reply with quote

I realized that I had not addressed your question as to which reloaders to avoid. Not sure I can help much, but I personally would stay away from the Texan and Pacific reloaders, as they are no longer in production. If you can find one that is in good condition, with all parts and dies, at a reasonable price, it might be worth the effort, however. Basically, that advice would also go for any machine, no matter what make, that is no longer in production. The MEC 400 comes to mind here. MEC is a great mfg., but I don't think the MEC 400 is still supported.

I can't disagree with Wolfchief regarding the MEC 600 Jr. I have had great luck with mine! You can buy them for $ 119.95 + shipping online from Connie's - and probably other online retailers as well. Sure beats the big box stores that want $ 139.95 + tax + shipping!

I only load a limited amount of 16 ga. Doubt if I will load more than 200 - 300 rds./year for dove hunting. A very kindly fellow reloader gave me an older Lee LoadAll in 16 ga. recently and I have only loaded a few boxes of Fed hulls. I'm probably going to standardize and load only Feds. I say the above to advise you to avoid the Lee LoadAll. It's OK for strictly limited use like mine, but for any type production it would be a real PITA.