16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  RGL's and MEC 9000 woes
pumpgun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

I've always had issues loading RGL's on my MEC 9000; they'd load fine the first time, but as the crimps got more ragged, the wad would catch the mouth of the hull on the wad seating station, requiring that I stop, remove the hull, insert the wad by hand, and continue. Just loaded a case of once fired RGL's, and had 15-20 jams per 100! Federal hulls seem to load fine. The wad guide is new, and I don't have this issue with RGL's in 12 or 20 gauge. Anyone have similar experiences? I've already sent the loader back to MEC for this issue, but to no avail.
I'd really like to continue loading thee hulls because they're readily available, and cycle flawlessly through my model 12's
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have had similar problems. First make sure that the wad guide is properly centered over the hull, it is more important on the Remington's because the crimp folds get kind of crispy. Then I bought a 12 gauge deprime puch and machined the top 3/4"(the portion the expands the crimp area) to .675 Outside Diameter. The entire length of the 12 deprime punch will have to be remachined to make this work with the 16 gauge hulls. This seemed to fix the problem of smoothing out those rigid Remington crimp folds.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
bdicki
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:39 am  Reply with quote

I use this.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SPINDOCSB
HIGH$TRAP
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:22 am  Reply with quote

I have had the same problem with my MEC loading 12ga hulls. I also believed the "click/snap" noise was the wad base catching the hull mouth. My father-in -law showed me that a tiny squirt of silicone spray on the wad guide fingers would eliminate the problem until it wore off, about every 20 hulls,this was a PITA. One day it got so bad that the wad was actually being crushed and would not pass through the guide. Time to investigate!
Lowering the press handle and looking into the wad guide I could see the guide fingers overlapping one another, no where was the hull protruding past the fingers for the wad to catch on as I had imagined.
My theory is that with the fingers folded over one another the wad pinches them together so they can't move, effectively blocking the passage of the wad. The "snap /click" are the fingers releasing, the silicone provided enough lube so they could slide and not stick.
My problem was with once fired hull where the mouth was still closed up as in Mikes case. However after several reloads I think hulls may grow slightly longer , this and the ragged mouth will give the same problem.
OK! This is getting long winded! In my case at least this worked,have not had "snap/click" since!, hope others will try it and report back.
Simply loosen and raise the wad guide about 1/8-1/4 inch. You may have to also raise the shot drop tube to have room to insert the wad, this will slightly reduce wad seating pressure, but it should be minimal anyway with plastic wads. HTH Bob
Stack16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

I use the end of a magic marker whitch is always hande for marking things, boxes, shells, etc. just stick it in the hull and wobble it around until it makes the mouth bigger and flip up any small areas that turn down, then go for the deprime,resizer right away. It takes more time but what the heck, you get more reloads per hull.

Griff
Stack16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Correction, that would be a sharpie reg. point pen instead of the magic marker. I just discovered that while reloading a few rounds.

Griff
pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I've actually thought about having a small drill press next to the press with one of those hull conditioners from BPI... Mabye I'll try a sharpie first Wink