16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Brass hulls
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:44 am  Reply with quote

Anyone using brass hulls with smokeless powders??

I would have use for brass hulls, in 10ga, 24ga (new) and even in the 16ga.
All I can find is Black powder data.

Anyone have source for smokeless reloading in Brass Hull?

Also, why glue an OS card if one can roll crimp the brass? Wouldn't the crimp be a more consistent reliable procedure?? I am asking, I do not have a clue about loading brass hulls.

I found one statement on a forum that you can use any published data.
How is that?? Some of these hulls use different primers?? How would anyone know what pressure is?? Not that I am all that concerned with pressure as with the exception of maybe one old sxs, I am using well built, "modern" shotguns.

Do I NEED to use brass? No. Just another option, especially for shorter chambers in 10 and 16ga.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:23 am  Reply with quote

Also, why glue an OS card if one can roll crimp the brass? Wouldn't the crimp be a more consistent reliable procedure?? I am asking, I do not have a clue about loading brass hulls.

You have to glue the O.S. card in, so it doesn't fall out.
I really don't think you can roll crimp a brass hull.
It's a whole lot easier to just cut down regular hulls, for your short chambered guns, if you want short shells. Or buy them from RST.
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:56 am  Reply with quote

See on this page Mag Tech Brass hulls and a fairly complete discussion of brass bulls on page 2 titled Brass Hulls revisited.

P/O discussion on pg 2:Previously, I have posted about loading brass shot shells and this post will speak to my opinions on same. I have been using Hammer Double and RMC brass 16 Ga. shot shell hunting loads in modern shotguns for almost a year. As some of you know Hammer Double, the producer/modifier of Mag Tech brass hulls is no longer in business. During very cold weather both hull types have a common problem and that is the glued in overshot cards can and will fall out sending the shot down the barrel. I think that I have fixed the problem by cleaning the inside of the hull near the top with carburetor cleaner and fixing the osc with ducco cement, My last few outing the cards have stayed in place with temps ranging from 20 to just below freezing.
Hammer Double brass has one fault and that is the base wad can fall out and lodge in the barrel. I noticed the base wad had fallen out and was in the bottom of my shell box. The fix is to place the Hammer Double shell in a “V” block and dimple the case in four equally spaced places just above the inner wad.
A problem with the RMC brass hulls is that they are difficult to reloaded on a press. Instead, hand tools such as the Lee Loader work very good.
Most of the hunting loads that I have patterned are from data that Tom Armbruster supplied for Hammer Double and two loads that Tom gave me for RMC loads via the telephone. The data are for 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads using Unique, Herco, IMR 4756 and IMR’s Trail Boss. All patterned good and with the IMR 4756 and IMR Trail Boss patterning beautiful. I have also tried a variety of loads using one piece wads in the RMC hulls with good success.
While the loading of brass hulls requires a little more time and attention to detail than loading paper or plastic hull, I enjoy the process and often in the evening I load those shells that I shot that day.
Re crimping brass hulls: Depending on the hull, yes brass hulls can be crimped. According to Dave at RMC he doesn't skiv or remove brass from the hull so that they can crimped because it reduces the hulls life span.
Dave also says that his brass hulls will accept any gauge specific published load intended for a straight wall case. If in doubt Tom Armbruster can confirm this claim by testing any load that you provide.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Hello All
Bear with me on this one!!

This post refers ONLY to MagTech 16 gauge brass hulls.

I made a decapper by cutting off the MEC decapping pin in the expander/decapper and using my lathe and a jacobs chuck in the tail stock drilling the expander to hold an RCBS pistol decapping pin. I reprime by using a Bonanza priming press that I modified with washers to hold the 16 gauge shell. Using a Winchester Large Pistol primer. I have been using HERCO(16.2 grains) and

a 12 GAUGE Orange Winchester wad (yes 12 gauge)

Use a cheerio and shot to fill the shot cup (7/8 ounce)

A Circle Fly 13 gauge overshot wad and Elmers school glue.

Now for the results, Using a Baikal IHZ-27 16 gauge over under, I shot a round of skeet with it yesterday. The results were fine, the pressure and velocity was low (had to leads a bit more than normal). There was a small amount of soot on the first 1/8 of the case mouth. More pressure will result in a better seal. I only had one shell come apart in my skeet pouch and it could be reloaded on the field for the last shot at low 8. Idea

I will probably switch to 17.0 grains of Universal Clays for a snappier load.
The MagTech hulls are 2.5 inch hulls.

Good luck, this advise is of course, worth what you just paid for it Razz

If anyone tries it, please let me know how you like it

Enjoy the day
Mike
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

My advice for reloading Brass shotgun shells is:
If you do not have experience reloading plastic SG shell, or Rifle & pistol reloading, gain the experience before the attempt is made.

You can get in more trouble than a Tom Cat, in a room full of rocking chairs. Wink

Now, back to the Garage and check the Dillon case cleaner with the 25 Brass 16ga. shell I am cleaning that I shot yesterday and will be reloading tomorrow.

And yes, Magtech Brass shells can be mouth rolled. I roll prior to the reloading process. It is not necessary at each reloading.

I also install base wads in the Magtech shells (non Hammer Double). Cool

And No, RMC's can not be rolled.

I shoot brass in both my SXS's and my Pump guns.

Lots of personal satisfaction, reloading & shooting these big brass shells. Very Happy
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Gents,
Anyone tried the RCBS Cowboy die that they've got for 12ga brass hulls? It advertises a roll crimp.
CH4D also has dies for 12, 16, 20 & 28 ga, pricey but.
I've done a lot of 444Marlin hulls for the 410 using a Lee Factory Crimp Die to hold in the overshot card. Works good!
Cheers,
R*2
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

Jim;

I have a Magtech brass shell I installed with a base wad, this is not a Hammer Double shell. It uses Large Pistol Primers.

I want to get your thoughts.

I will be sending it to the Ranch in a few days.

Later,

Lefty
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Hello

Something to look at and ponder

http://www.lolosportinggoods.com/magtechbrass.html

Enjoy the day

Mike
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

Gents,
Here's a MUCH cheaper alternative than the CH4D dies at Lolos.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=296286
You do need a press with the big threads though. I'm sure RCBS could do the same in 16ga, or 28ga, which is the one I'd really be interested in, dang hulls in the "mini-gauges", 410 & 28, just don't last very long. As mentioned in my previous post, here and elsewhere, 444 Marlin works just fine for 410.
Cheers,
R*2
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

Hello All
Rrusse11, where did you say you could get 16 gauge dies cheaper??
The Midway stuff is only 12 gauge.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/RCBS/ShotshellDies.asp

(This site was good at 16:40 today)
I called their 800 number but they close at 16:00 Eastern
Orders: 800-653-7890
16 Gauge Shotshell Die Kit RCB99001 $86.95

http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinestore/control/category/~category_id=10510057031293/~pcategory=10510057031293/~Brand=BRAND41;jsessionid=02996B2016FB523973B98CB43050EE70.jvm1

Thanks
Mike
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

"Rrusse11, where did you say you could get 16 gauge dies cheaper??
The Midway stuff is only 12 gauge."

skeettx,
I was referring to the asking price for the 12ga CH4D dies available at Lolo's. The RCBS 12ga "cowboy die" at Midway, as in the link, is less than half the price.
HOWEVER! You seem to have found one answer! I've been meaning to give RCBS a call and ask about 16ga,,,,,,,, looks like they're in production. But, it would appear that the shotshell dies for 10, 16 and 20ga may just be for plastic hulls. Hmmmmmm. Let us know how you make out.
CH4D does do dies for brass hulls in other gauges, as with the Lolo 12ga listing, but they are pricey.
Cheers,
R*2
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

Hello
I have a Hollywood shotshell press and hollywood dies, High quality stuff
Enjoy the day
Mike