16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  winchester dove and quail
castnblast
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

I picked up some older 16 ga. Winchester Dove and Quail loads today. White box with red amd orange markings. From the looks of them, they had been there a while, but at six bucks a box, I bought all they had. Are these the compression hulls that can be reloaded several times? Any additional info? Thanks.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
mtjim
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:08 am  Reply with quote

castnblast wrote:
I picked up some older 16 ga. Winchester Dove and Quail loads today. White box with red amd orange markings. From the looks of them, they had been there a while, but at six bucks a box, I bought all they had. Are these the compression hulls that can be reloaded several times? Any additional info? Thanks.

So how many boxes did they have?

Let us vicariously enjoy your find!! Smile
castnblast
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Just four. I am always looking though.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

This is why we shoot the 16ga. The search for the Dove and Quail loads and the Pheasant and Rabbit ammo is part of the joy. Enjoy the journey.
Best,
Ron
castnblast
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

Yes Ron, and also why I shoot a Superposed if I'm shooting a twenty. It would be too easy to just go out and pick up some Remington HD or steel. This way I get to think about it for 3 weeks before I hunt.
bcpifish
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:58 am  Reply with quote

I had a similar experience at a small gunstore in Springfield, MO 2 months ago.

They carry Fiocchi ammo as their primary brand, but had some other stuff on the shelf toward the back.

I bought 1 box of Win Dove and Quail 7.5, with only 23 shells in the box, for $ 4.00; 1 box of Fed GL 7.5, with 24 shells in the box, for $ 4.00.

I found 2 new boxes of Fiocchi 1 oz., #8, for $ 6.00/box and bought them also.

When I asked about the missing shells in the Win and Fed boxes I was told that they got the shells when psople traded in guns.

Sometimes just looking is half the fun!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:17 am  Reply with quote

castnblast wrote:

Winchester Dove and Quail ammo typically have always been economy or "promo" loads. They use a polyformed hull for them. Prior to withdrawing the WW16 AA compression formed hull from the market, they used it for their more expensive Upland and Super X line of ammo. The only notable difference is the higher brass on the Super X loads.

The best way to be certain is to fire one and look into the bottom of the hull. If it has a seperate plastic, fiber, or nitro card paper base wad, it is a polyformed hull. The Compression formed hull of course is one piece has an integral base wad. It is easy to see the difference.

Even if the hull is a newer style polyformed one with a plastic or nitro card type basewad, it can be reloaded a couple of times if it is in good condition. However, if it has the older compressed fiber base wad which resembles partical or finegrain beaver board, I'd toss them.

Compressed wood fiber base wads are not trustworthy for reloading IMO. I've seen too many of the cheaper ones break up on the initial firing. They were not designed for reloading and were meant to be fired and disposed of except for the Remington versions. The old Remington fiber base wads from 30 years ago or more were shellac or varnish soaked and were tougher than the run of the mill wood fiber base wads used in ammo like Alcan from the same era. But even these old Remington hulls are all at least 30 years old now. Some folks still load newly fired ones if they can get the smaller sized 57* primers (which are also 30 years old now). Using a 209 sized primer is very likely to crack the base wad, so don't do it regardless of what you might hear to the contrary. Doing so is just asking for trouble.

Considering the age of both these old Remington hulls and the old primers, I'd advise keeping a couple of the once fired shells for souveniers and don't reload them either. You might still run up on these old loads at gun shows and auction houses. Original, unfired factory ammo may or may not be okay. I do not buy this stuff, but I've had plenty given to me. Who knows where it comes from and how it's been stored for the last 20 years or so. Some has been good; some not so good. I've also had second hand venders swear up and down the stuff they sell is first rate for any use including reloading with 209 size primers. Some of these guys would try to sell you dried up cow flops for shoe liners too--anything to make a buck.

These old hulls are probably more valueable as keep sakes anyway. Everyone loves antiques it seems.