16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  BPI Trap Commander 16ga wad
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:11 am  Reply with quote

I would agree with the fact that the simplest loads seem to work the best. I do not like to use filler wads, cards etc in any loads. I get to much inconsistency. I horse around until I find a load that works with the components that I have.

I have stated before that I am almost using 100% short hulls now with loads that were for 2.75. powder, wad and shot is all, and crimping is perfect. Easy to load and pattern much more consistently. I do not have a chrono to measure velocity.

I find the Fiocchi, cheddite and BPI's "Multi-hull" all are "large hulls"

I like Longshot powder for velocity but doesn't seem to take up much space. It is okay for some loads especially if inserting a spreader device, either the X-treme or Poly wad's, this helps with shot height and makes for better crimps.
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Dave - thanks so much. I use all Mec reloaders (2 Grabbers for 12 ga and another for 28 ga) and have an old Versa-Mec single stage reloader that I use for the 16 gauge. I had never heard of the "short kit" and had not really considered shortening my hulls. I appreciate the information, Dave, and will check it out. I take it that you feel the over-powder card is not a good idea?
I do have quite a stash of Fiocchi hulls built up and like them better than any other 16 hull that I have tried for reloading. Just wish that we could get the same quality hulls/wads for 16 ga that we can get for the other gauges!

Keith
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Keith,

Have you tried using nitro card(s) over the powder? Felt is not, in my opinion, an over powder wad. Works in the shotcup. Nitro cards will work over powder and/or inside shot cup.

Again, I hate having to adjust. I will look for easier load, and by easier, one that fits with powder, wad and shot. Not as easy as it sounds as I have velocity requirements and must pattern well too.
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 am  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote:
Keith,

Have you tried using nitro card(s) over the powder? Felt is not, in my opinion, an over powder wad. Works in the shotcup. Nitro cards will work over powder and/or inside shot cup.

Again, I hate having to adjust. I will look for easier load, and by easier, one that fits with powder, wad and shot. Not as easy as it sounds as I have velocity requirements and must pattern well too.

Hootch - nitro cards is what I have used over the powder. I said felt, but that was inaccurate. I would rather not mess with an extra card also, but think that I would rather use them than cut down hulls - if they are safe to use and give consistent velocities. I have a chronograph and can check the velocities.

Dave - I got on the Mec order website that you provided and it does not list the Versa-Mec as a reloader that is adaptable to the "short kit".

Thank you both for the advice!

Keith
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Keith,
I'm in the non-filler of any kind camp. It's mostly due to not liking the extra dinking around. If it's just for a few hunting loads, it might be worth it if you trust your data and at least chronograph your results to check the velocity and consistency.

If I remember correctly, you'll need to use a 28 gauge card to fit inside a 16 guage shotcup.

Hootch's advice on the Nitro card makes sense if you're going directly over the powder.

Why don't you try cutting a couple hulls down and just fashion a small spacer to lift the hulls a little a bit on your crimp stations and see how it goes?

If you like the results, just trim down enough hulls for your hunting season and either fashion your own"short kit" or order the one from MEC. If the short hulls work, I think you'll be happier in the long run.

Personally, it drive me crazy having to add fillers to loads. AAAHHHH!

I haven't loaded a 16 gauge hunting load in years. I bought a lot of factory loads when the gettn' was good, and I churn out 3/4 and 7/8 oz targets loads based on the Rem Game Load hull on my Grabber.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Keith, I was typing when you sent your last message. I didn't realize the 700 VersaMec couldn't be converted! I also have a 700 Versa in 16 gauge.
Lemming
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank everyone who's helped me out with load data and advice on this subject; it's greatly appreciated.

I've been loading shotshells for nearly 30 years with only minimal data available (and most of that's been out of date for ages). Now, thanks to you guys, I've got actual printed, tested data to go on. It sure beats making it up as you go along!

Thanks again
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

If you have a load for the Remington SP16 that fits perfectly use it. Even though it might seem sloppy in the Fiocchi hull, it will seal properly. The only time that a sloppy fit, with a plastic wad, is not a good idea is if there is powder migration from under the overpowder cup into the compression section of the wad.

When the thin plastic of the over powder cup sees 6,7,8, 9+ thousand pounds of pressure it will seal. Just like in the back bored 12 gauge guns, the wads expand to seal completely.