16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Question on Ponsness Warren 375C Reloader
mtjim
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:23 am  Reply with quote

I own one of these reloaders and have loaded several hundred 16 ga. reloads - mostly Fiocchi.

I have noticed that the shells are moderately hard to push into the gun - an O/U before I shoot - as though they are not tapered enough.

I have the old style 16 ga. dies for this loader.

For what it's worth the other shooters in my squad last Wednesday were shooting 28ga. and 410 and seemed to have the same problem - tight fitting reloads in their O/U's.

Is this a common problem across gauges and reloading presses or is there a tapered crimp die I should be using that I'm not aware of.

I will call PW later today after they open for business.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:11 am  Reply with quote

That problem comes with the older die sets. The case should be crimped when it is level with the top of the shell die. The closer to level or lower the less the problem is noticed. The dies you will need to change will be the final crimp and the knock out punch along with a new shell die. Those are the parts required for the tapered hull look. The new die is about 1/2" shorter to allow the crimp and knock out to work properly. They are expensive as parts.
Best,
Ron
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:18 am  Reply with quote

Ron doesn't the 375C had the tapered crimp dies already?
mtjim
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
Ron doesn't the 375C had the tapered crimp dies already?

I think they do. I bought this machine new with 12 gauge dies installed. I already had a set of the older 16 ga. dies that I use.

If I'm understanding Ron correctly - this is probably my problem - I need the new die set or at least those parts to convert to the tapered crimp..
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:41 am  Reply with quote

I checked my extra parts bin and found a new final crimp die. If you can use it I can send it your way, just pm me an address. The old final crimp die is made to set on the top of the shell die and doesn't have the ability to taper the shell. The old final knock out punch is a flat tube and pushes the shell out without tapering the shell. All the new presses come with the new die sets which are the taper type. I have both die sets for my presses and find the old style works best with the straight wall cases where the new type is ideal on the older Winchester cases.
Best,
Ron
PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

I experienced a similar issue with the Fiocchi hulls not easily entering the gun. The problem was resolved with the tapering of the shell. You will need to convert to the tapered final crimp.

I went through the same deal with the 12ga shells so I assume it would apply to all gauges but I can't speak directly about the 28ga and 410.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

mtjim,
They don't list the 16ga conversion, but they'll make one for you. The sizing die is shorter, and the crimp and final "knockout" die are quite different to the original non tapered dies. You can cut down the sizing die and just get the 2 heads, the dies are expensive.
I've got an 800 with the taper crimp heads, and shorter sizing dies, that works great with 2 3/4" hulls. The only problem I've got is loading 2 9/16" hulls on it and feeding in my A5 short chamber guns. I've resorted to using a 20ga sizing die in my MEC Supersizer, and crimping the last 1/4" of the hull at the crimp end to get the slight flare small enough to feed properly.
http://www.reloaders.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=136
Cheers,
R*2
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Russell I have had excellent results putting a taper on my shortened fold crimped shells by running them through my old hand crank roll crimp tool. Two or three turns and they look like factory new shells. Would probably work just as well with one of the mechanized roll crimp tools also.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

TB,
Thanks for the tip, haven't run into one in 16ga yet. The Supersizer trick is very fast though. I will get hold of a roll crimper one of these days. Being a volume shooter, I get on a run with the P/W for a gauge and crank 'em out.
Last coupla' days been on a 12ga kick, got about 1250 rounds all ready for the spring. 16ga is next on the list, want to put together a case or two of the 65mm, and same in 70mm.
R*2