16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Who actually makes the Z wads?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:18 am  Reply with quote

The BPI Trap Commander wad has been mentioned in several threads. I think some folks believe them to be Gualandi wads. Others have mentioned Cheddite as the maker. The Z series do not resemble the typical Gualandi wads. The shot cups are deeper. the crush sections are different as well. I've not a clue as to who actually makes them.

Two years ago, I was seeking a decent alternative for a light load 16 ga wad for use in the Remington GL hull. I came up with a 20 gauge Z wad as one possibility. It appeared to have an outside diameter just big enough to work well and a suitable shot cup capacity for 3/4 to 7/8 ounce loads with no fillers or at least a minimum amount

I found out the Z wad series is used by Baschieri and Pellagri for their ammo line in a number of gauges. The stateside importer of B&P ammo sent me a couple of samples of the two different 20 gauge Z wads. I dropped th matter after I found the Federal 20SI wad works very well if not perfectly. It is far easier to get and a bit less expensive as well.

But I still wonder who makes the Z wads. The folks who import B&P ammo could not or would not pas that info to me. Who can shed some light on this matter? Thanks.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Baschieri & Pellagri aka B & P of Italy.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Did your old firm out of Stafford, CT ever import them from B&P?
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

It's my understanding that Dogchaser is correct. I first obtained the wads several years ago from Precision Reloading in order to reload the B&P hulls that were beginning to accumulate in my shop. They (Precision)informed me that the 'Z' wads were a product of B&P.
Nice folks @ Precision. Then and now.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Woodcock, I am certainly not questioning the man's veracity. I've actually been to the warehouse and facility in Stafford although its been a while now. I used to be on their mailing list as well. I know that they occasionally had Z wads for sale. At the time, I was not in the market for any.

I am simply curious where Precision was getting the wads from. A couple of years ago, the American B&P distributers informed me they were the sole authorized source if and when B&P sent a shipment, which was not often according to them. B&P was said to be using all of their wads for ammo production at the time and had no immediate plans to fill any orders for wads. I have no idea if this information is true, a smoke screen, or dated. I'm simply wondering how BPI and the others get theirs if the info is true. There is no slight intended here.

I hope you were not trying to put my foot in my mouth (although I would not put it past you). I don't need any help. I can do that on my own thank you. Laughing
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

This communicating without body language, gesture and tone sucks.
I most asuredly was not trying to be anything but informative. Smile
I had ordered some of the 10's I use for snipe from B&P (only place I could get 'em if I didn't stuff my own) and ended up with a ton of their hulls (dang things were YELLOW, imagine that, yellow 16gauge hulls! Shocked )that I thought I didn't want to waste.
I called around and Precision (which was still in Conn. at that time) told me they had B&P's wad, the 'Z'. They worked well although I had to load 'low and slow' as recipes were unavailable as far as I could tell.

Baschieri & Pellagri seems to have had their issues as my original orders were from BandPAmerica(?) a guy named Mike Dodson. These days I think Keltran/Pettibone is the distributor and I've not been as pleased with their cooperation.
We're at peace Chris, honestly. Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Keltran/Pettibone was the firm I contacted. Thanks, I could not pull that one out of my old grey noodle.

Yes, I got it. Without body language we have to depend on these stupid stickies on the left. I understand you have been yanking my chain in fun. My return shot about Texas history was meant as a duster in fun as well.

One of my favorite fictional heros is Augustus McCrae. His persona and mine are almost a match. Other folks who know me and are familiar with McMurtry's works have pointed out to me that some of my retorts resemble something Gus would say. Most of them are meant to be tongue in cheek and to keep things lively. I'm really harmless unless something or someone is trying to eat me. Laughing No war. I'm too old and tired of it. Besides, I don't have enough money left to quit this one and start another. Rolling Eyes Wink