16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading Components
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:53 am  Reply with quote

This is a little off topic as it does not specifically pertain to 16 ga. I have noticed in the past several weeks that it is much more difficult (impossible) to find powder, primers and bullets. Here in LV we have 2 Sportsman's Warehouse stores, less than 4 months old, that are going out of business and have few if any reloading stuff left. Went to a local gun show last week and was not able to find any powder or brass. Went to Bass Pro yesterday and aside from a few Win shotshell primers they had no brass, bullets, primers etc. At the gun show the lines were 4 deep at the Wolf ammunition table. I'm pretty well set up for 16 ga. components, however, the Dillon XL 650 is starting to look a little hungry! What's the situation elswhere?

Matt
spr310
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:12 am  Reply with quote

I was out at another website where they asked the same question. I quess one of the suppliers was questioned, the answer was as soon as the Obama craze gets over. Supposedly the run on handgun and rifle components has everybody concentrating on those components now. I wanted to order shot, powder and primers all at once. Every time I go out, one or the other is backordered. I ordered 1000 fiochi primers, got 300.

Sprtsman Warehouse in St. Cloud is going out of business also. In there last email to me, they still have their notice for hiring help.
Citori_16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Sportsman's Warehouse is closing 13 stores in 10 states. The two in WI are closing, but I'm not trying to get to either one. They never had much of anything in stock when they weren't closing, I can't imagine there is anything more on the shelves now!
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

The Obama craze is the problem. It is almost impossible to get anything that has to do with the popular rifle or pistol calibers.

I just placed a big (for me) order with Recob's and got everything I needed. It was mostly shotshell components. Had to wait a few days for their next incoming shipment to complete the order though.

The biggest problem with Sportsmans Wharehouse is that they are trying very hard to go broke. They have been out of money for several months and are on a COD basis with most of their suppliers. They simply don't have any credit to restock their shelves. But they like to tell you "it's on order" when you ask about something they don't have. They were supposed to have been bought out Feb. 2 by a Canadian company but the deal fell through at the last minute so now they are closing 23 of their 78 stores. Hope they don't go under, always liked their stores.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
jswanson
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

A friend of mine works in a sporting goods shop here in NY and they can't keep up with the demand for ammo and components. Guns sales are also way up. He is seeing a lot of first time buyers.

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:11 pm  Reply with quote

Someone hears a rumor and it starts a stampede of people getting in line to buy whatever at already inflated prices. Once the top hits and alot of people are left holding the bag, you have to ask yourself who "churned" the market and who actually made the huge profits. The U.S. sportsmen are going have their reloading components to continue their target and hunting reloading. Last I heard that "gang bangers" and terrorists haven't discovered the joys of reloading esp. with a 16 gauge and I serious doubt getting our components in the future won't be a problem once this hording hysteria subsides.

BTW, what's the going rate of a AR15 from a few years ago and who is pocketing that extra profit??

I went to my first Sportsmen Warehouse in Washington state and was very impressed with the selection a "fair" prices" When they finally put one down in area, I was in an extreme case of "sticker shock" on everything they carried. No small reason why they're going out of business.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:19 am  Reply with quote

Terry Imai wrote:
BTW, what's the going rate of a AR15 from a few years ago and who is pocketing that extra profit??

$800-1400 depending on make/model. Expect to wait 3-4 months. Expect to pay $200-300 more on gunbroker, ie able to have it right away. Colt 6920's are going for $1600-1700 on GB.
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:31 am  Reply with quote

ISSUE 1- Sportsmen's Warehouse is a failing business, other have failed before and been replaced, no big deal

ISSUE 2- Fear of a change in law and or interpretations of law have driven many to stock up on component causing a shortage. I have seen this is true to some extent with two local suppliers I have brought from for years. Their sales in the last quarter have been through the roof. They state to me it is simple fear. Whether the fears are valid or not only time will tell.

ISSUE 3- Hazmat charges and other regulatory complications have driven many component dealers out of the market for selling reloading powders and primers. The increased cost of restocking has driven many to simply determine it is uneconomical to try to be a dealer in reloading stuff.

Issue 3 is my greatest concern because as it becomes ever more difficult to reload many will give it up. When that happens it reduces the number of people who will sustain pressure to protect the ability to reload.