16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Which MEC?
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:34 am  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
OH BOY, you can't let this guy know you either agree with him or like him because the next time his novel length reply will turn into a trilogy.

Ain't it the truth?

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:07 am  Reply with quote

GP16,

I am very satisfied with my 600 jr, which can be found on the internet for $120 new. http://conniescomponents.com/. At a very leisurely pace I can comfortably make 75 round per hour, inspecting each one. 100 rounds per hour is possible if you can work uninterrupted (anyone?). Also, I manually prime all my cases (rifle and shotgun) out of preference, and some folks have reported issues with the auto prime tool

Author John Matunas (Reloading for Shotgunners) prefers single stage reloaders over progressive reloaders. He basically says it produces a better round, and explains why. He uses a single stage reloader for all his shotgun reloading, and says auto primers require "extreme caution", a warning light for me, since I am uncomfortable with extreme anything.

Strongly recommend his book, thoroughly covers all the basics, written by an authority who knows the subject inside and out, especially where trouble lies. Very readable, used copies available cheap on Amazon. I kept mine in the bathroom but it got moved elsewhere. Rolling Eyes

Brewster
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

Primer feeds are only as good as the guy operating them. I have them on all my MEC machines (5), I wouldn't be without them. The only problem with primer feeds is that guys don't read directions and they fail to adjust them properly.

There isn't any danger with primer feeds either. I have never heard of anyone having an automatic primer feed tray or mechanism, on a shotshell reloading press explode.

As far as progressives not producing as good a reload as a single stage, I disagree. The progressives are better and faster, Heck, used to produce reference ammo on a MEC 9000H because they are so consistent. A progressive will throw powder charges +/- 0.2 grain and +/- 5 grains on shot all day long. With some powders they are more like +/- 0.1 grain. With EV of 15 on velocity and EV of 500 PSI on pressure, on 10 shot strings, with target loads. You can't get better than that if you hand weigh the charges, Plus, most progressive machines have 3 crimp stations that allow more adjustments for a better finished crimp. Then you add in 500+ rounds per hour of good quality ammo.

Just so you know, I have been reloading since 1974, Have a 600 Jr., 2 Sizemasters, a 9000G and a 9000H, so I do know about the machines. Have also sold, serviced, and done customer service work with folks on the phone and in person concerning MEC reloaders.

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
birddog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

GP,
Go with the sizemaster, the benifit of the sizing collar alone is a big plus, especially if you load ammo for more than one gun. If memory serves me correctly you were only going to be loading 2k shells per year. Piece of cake with the single stage. I shoot somewhere around 6k a year and have only one loader.
good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get.
Charlie Wink

Winchester Mod 12 16ga. 30" full
Sears mod. 30 Ranger 16ga.
1 NEW Citori 525 Sporting Clays w/30"tubes
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good woman" D. Boone
GP16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Hi, hope you all had a good weekend! I did place an order for a 16 ga Sizemaster this weekend from Cabela's. I had several gift certificates saved up so that is who I went through. Can't wait to get it up and going. I kinda wish I would have bought it at the beginning of the winter but oh well. Again, thanks for everything. I am sure I will have more questions for you guys!
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

I agrree with dogchaser37 on the progressives throwing more consistent powder drops.

On a single stage Mec the powder bushing sits under the powder bottle while you work the handle four times. Unless those four pulls have the same exact amount of vibrations as the last cycle you can end up with a slightly different drop of powder, especially with flake powders.

With a Mec progressive the charge bar slides under the powder bottle and then immediately drops the powder so each drop is virtually identical. The powder never gets a chance to be vibrated and settled.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:28 am  Reply with quote

See what I mean GP. No matter what you decide, someone will have a better idea. The war continues Laughing

PS: my "fan club" of deranged gun apes are still trailing my posts, swinging from the branches, and leaving their droppings. I guess it's time to deploy the umbrella. Laughing
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:57 am  Reply with quote

GP16,

For your situation the Sizemaster will be perfect. It is a nice, versatile, rugged machine.

Happy reloading!!!
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:38 am  Reply with quote

http://www.mecreloaders.com/AboutMEC/about.asp

If you need assistance during normal business hours, or don't care for the 16ga.com drama, these MEC folks are super to deal with. They have no hidden agenda; only keeping their machines humming and their customers happy. It says a lot about any company that still stocks parts for machines they sold over 35 years ago. I also like that they are an employee owned company.

bcpifish
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

My nod goes to the Mec 600 Jr. Priced right, holds value very well. And it will reload the volumn of shells needed very easily.

I like the ring resizer on the 600 Jr. better than the collet resizer. Nothing to get out of whack or adjust. It's like the old Timex ad, "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

I just was out at the reloading bench and loaded 225 rounds of 12 ga. in 2 hours. Loading 500 - 1000 per year will be a snap on a 600 Jr.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne