16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  GreenLite Non-Toxic Shotshells
WPGriffon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:49 am  Reply with quote

The new Lion Country Supply catalog advertizes GreenLite Non-Toxic shotshells with "wadless technology".They have a wadless design with 7-8 non-toxic soft steel shot.They come in 20-28 gauge for use in guns with cyl.,imp cyl., and cyl. chokes only. Does anybody know anything about these?What would wadless steel shot do to a bbl?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Is there such a thing as soft steel? Interesting, I'd like to learn more. A lot of guys could use these with chambermates in their 16 doubles.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
Is there such a thing as soft steel? Interesting, I'd like to learn more. A lot of guys could use these with chambermates in their 16 doubles.

Me too! Soft steel?? Especially wadless! Not that would be a good trick!!

Slidehammer
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Hello All

From Aprin 2009 "Gun" magazine as written by Holt Bodinson

GreenLite

Another new entry in the small-bore steel-shot race is Polywad's "GreenLite." The small-bore GreenLite shell is truly "green", and designed for "small upland bird shooting at ranges out to 35 yards and clay targets out to 40 yards+." The 20- and 28-gauge shells feature a soft steel payload of roughly No. 7-1/2s enveloped in a heavy kraft paper shot cup. Between the paper shot cup and the powder is a column of polymer powder (Polywad's Obturating Medium). There is no over-powder wad. Polywad calls this their "wadless" technology, and it's the result of years of experimentation.

When a GreenLite shell is torched off, the only residues left in the field are steel shot, a bit of Kraft paper and a puff of polymer powder--all of which are bio-and photo-degradable components. GreenLite payloads are listed in terms of pellet count. The velocity of the 20-and 28-gauge shells is given as "1,000 miles per hour," which, if my math is right, corresponds to 1,467. fps.

I've shot 20-gauge GreenLite on hand-thrown clays, and they performed as well as any lead load I've used at 30 to 35 yards. I'm waiting for the re-opening of the dove season to give GreenLite the acid test. If you must use non-toxic loads for upland hunting or targets, or if you are simply a dedicated environmentalist, give Polywad's GreenLites a go.

As for myself (Skeettx) this is the first I have heard of them.

Happy Easter
Mike
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

More and different

GREENLITE NON-TOXIC SHOTSHELLS
On the same website Jay Menefee has an even newer shotshell. These he calls the GreenLite brand. These are loaded with steel shot but there is totally new technology with this one. There is no wad—plastic or otherwise.
After the powder is loaded in these GreenLite hulls, a granulated polymer is added. That polymer is crushed un-der pressure to seal the powder gases once they ignite.
The steel shot is encased in a paper cup. Consequently, that cup is biodegradable, the non-wad that seals the pow-der gases gets sort of vaporized, plus the steel shot is from reconstituted iron.
This shell is so environmentally friendly that even Al Gore would jump for joy to shoot it. Also, the shells and the technology are brand, brand new. It is my bet we are going to be hearing much more about the GreenLite shell, i.e. reams of paper and lots of miles of video images.
There is more. Velocity is at the speed of Lite™—1000 miles per hour. In a 28 gauge GreenLite shell the recoil is remarkable low, a mere 6.5 foot pounds in a tiny 6 pound gun. Twenty gauge GreenLite shells will be offered as well. These loads won’t work in all auto-loaders, but they will work in some.
Obviously, these shells are ideal for pump guns, over-and-unders and side-by-sides. Jay says they are devastating on game birds to 35 yards, on clay targets to 40 yards.
Tru-Choke is doing a lot of patterning work with these unique new loads, and that company plans to come out with chokes specifically for GreenLite shotshells. You will probably hear more about these shells in this column in future months.

Nick Sisley can be contacted at
nicksisley@hotmail.com

Enjoy the day
Mike
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:16 am  Reply with quote

http://www.polywad.com/greenlite.html

The payload would be ~11/16 ounce of 7 1/2s.