16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  fiocchi hulls
mallard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

hi, i am new to this forum as i have just purchsed a 16 gun. I am not new to the shotshell reloading community at all, just a quick ? for you all. Have any of you had any experience with the fiocchi hulls? I got some from a guy on a diffrent forum and they look good until you get them to the pre crimp stage and then they will split on the crimps is it just me or is this the way the majority of them are? thanks in advance mallard Confused
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a case of 16 gauge Fiocchis to shoot then reload and was actually impressed with the pliability of the plastic after multiple firings when compared to other brands. I was given a box of 16 gauge Remington field loads that were 10+ years old that sometimes split after one firing and seemed brittle when reloaded and crimped. I suspect the plastic polymers changed with age. Maybe the Fiocchi hulls you have are old(er)? There are some cracks on the crimp points of the new Fiocchis I reload after 3-4 firings but I still reload them for target loads because they still hold shot and I am not that fussy about my target loads.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I use Fiocchi hulls and agree with Spike's results.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

Mallard,
I am using Fiocchi hulls and they are very pliable, almost to a fault. I have the skived hulls with a taper on the last 1/8 in., no problems with cracking or anything else.
Brewster
bcpifish
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

I have three boxes that my Grandson likes to shoot up and reload on a Lee LoadAll. Several of the hulls split at the crimp on the first reload. I load fairly light, 18 gr. Unique, CB WAA16 replacement wad, 7/8 oz. shot.

BTW, I bought these shells new less than 4 months ago.

My biggest complaint with Fio 16 ga. is the price. $10.00/box for 1 oz. target loads around here.

That is the limit of my experience with Fio 16 ga. hulls

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
mallard
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

Spike McQuail wrote:
I bought a case of 16 gauge Fiocchis to shoot then reload and was actually impressed with the pliability of the plastic after multiple firings when compared to other brands. I was given a box of 16 gauge Remington field loads that were 10+ years old that sometimes split after one firing and seemed brittle when reloaded and crimped. I suspect the plastic polymers changed with age. Maybe the Fiocchi hulls you have are old(er)? There are some cracks on the crimp points of the new Fiocchis I reload after 3-4 firings but I still reload them for target loads because they still hold shot and I am not that fussy about my target loads.

do you think maybe it could be my pre crimp die, I am using a 700 versa mec because it seems some of them ore crimp and look like a clover leaf i dont know if i cant figure it out i may just try and skive them to 2 9/16 and shoot them for fun thanks for all your help guys mallard
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Mallard,
Your crimps with a MEC should come out perfect with the Fiocchi hulls. Maybe trying raising the precrimp die a bit. All crimp folds should be straight, not curved or swirled. If they are, something is out of adjustment. Do you have a photo?
Brewster
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

I use a Lee Load All with two recipes, one for field and one for targets which should indicate that am not too serious about my reloading. If the shells go bang and break clay or kill birds I am satisfied.

The Fiocchi (and Cheddite according to other posters on this web site) have more volume and are slightly taller than the Federal (Estate) and Remington shells I also use for reloads. My recipe (19.5 grains Universal Clays, BP?SPTG 16 wad, Win 209 primer, 1oz shot) does not completely fill the Fiocchi hulls but I apply less pressure on the final crimp (one of the few advantages of a single stage reloader) and they seem to work fine on targets. I use Federal and Remington hulls for field loads.

I am not familiar with the Versa MEC but if your hull is not full to 1/8" or so below the crimp line it may be setting a new crimp edge lower than the original on the hull and causing the cracks you mentioned. Make sure your machine is set up for 2-3/4" (70mm) and not 2-9/16" shells (65mm). If the shell height setting is correct adjust the crimp die. You can get an owner's manual at http://www.mecreloaders.com/OwnerManuals/OwnerManuals.asp.
postoak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

All the Fiocchi 16 Gauge Hulls I have are Cheddites - and after the intial futzing around setting the crimp higth, work OK.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:55 am  Reply with quote

I still have some 5 or 6 year old once fired blue Fiocchi hulls. They seem to be about as pliable and workable as the ones I've reloaded out of the same lot. They last about 3 to 5 reloadings and then start to split at the case mouths. this is what I've found to be about on par with quite a few of the other recent polyformed hulls of similar construction.

I've never noticed any deterioration of the plastic. Of course, I store them in a cool, dry, and shaded place in my basement along with the rest of my hoard. I'm a confirmed pack rat when it comes to reloading componants and a careful one at that. Very Happy

The one thing I do like about them is they are blue and not red. This makes it easy for me to identify which load I'm selecting from my vest at a glance. I use these hulls for my long range magnum loads. This way, I do not get any surprizes from the recoil. Works for me. Very Happy
sneem
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

I bought 200 primed Fiocci hulls from BPI a year or so ago and they've worked out very well. They load beautifully and function smoothly through the Sweet 16. When these are gone, I'll go back for more.

mtjim
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I'm having good success with Fiocchi hulls using a PW375C. I'm getting good crimps after 3 or 4 reloadings. Haven't loaded any with the new DR16 wad yet but am anticipating nothing but smooth sailing when I make the change.
muzz
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:20 am  Reply with quote

mallard,
Are your hulls cold when you reload them.
muzz