16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cold Tempertures - Not an issue.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

In another topic/ thread there was a question concerning cold weather performance.

Cold temperatures do effect shotshell loads, however, if the load was properly developed the performance drop off will not exceed 5%.

I have done a number of tests with different loads (12 gauge) with one 10 shot string at -5 degrees F (24 hour cold soak)and the other 10 shot string at +72 degrees F. The loads were a 1 oz. lead load with 700-X, a 1 1/4 oz. lead load with SR7625, a 12 gauge 3" load 1 1/8 oz. steel shot and Steel powder and a 1 3/8 oz. lead load with Blue Dot.

With 700-X, almost any primer is fine as long as the pressure starts off at +70 degrees F at 8,000 PSI. With the hotter primers 700-X was fine even down to 7,000 PSI.

SR7625, any primer worked but the pressure really needed to be 9,500+ PSI for the loads not to fall off at -5 degrees F.

Then you get to the slow burners Blue Dot and Steel, CCI209M and Federal 209A primers only with pressures at +72 degress F at 10,000 PSI minimum. Winchester 209's would not cut it with the slow powders at low temperatures.

There is no such thing as a bad cold weather powder or load, just bad loads that shouldn't have been concocted in the first place.

There is one powder, 800-X that is very interesting. 800-X in some loads will actually improve performance as the temperatures fall off, and in general is a very nice performer when it gets cold. It is a very primer sensitive powder and I like either CCI209 or Remington 209STS best, The hotter primers make this powder a bit inconsistent. You still need to start with the pressures over 8,000 PSI, but I have never seen it fall off as the temperature drops. In the 16 gauge it is great with 1 1/8 oz. loads.

Fast to medium powders - 9,000 PSI + Hot Primer = NO cold weather issues.

Slow powders - 10,000 PSI + Hottest Primers = NO cold weather issues.

I hope this will help.