16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Downrange16 disappointment
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

After adjusting the drop tube so as to eliminate wad pressure and allow room for the taller wad, the DR16's load very well in the Federal & S&W hulls I prefer.
3/4 oz. over some of the faster/moderate powders results in a well filled shell with no crimp problems as far as I'm concerned..... but I must say that cosmetics is not what reloading is about for me---I'm interested in BOOM! and dead birds or broken clay and they do that just fine. 7/8 oz. does the same.

DC the original saying was (as I remember it) "Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

I got mine from Skeetx, I like his version better.

It fits this BB to a 'T'.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

"And for those without 28ga guns, a 16 with 3/4oz of shot works fine. So would a 20."

Gents,

Just my own personal taste and shooting style here, and I believe Charle's as well; I like fast loads. What the 16ga does with 3/4oz can not really be duplicated in the smaller gauges. I don't know what mine are doing, but, judging from results at the clays course, it's FAST! Comments from the usual crew that I shoot with when I switched to the 16ga, "The bird breaks and then you hear the bang". For pattern density I've just gone to #8.5's or #9's. Plenty of energy to break birds at 40yds +. Leads on crossing shots are minimal, as long as I'm on the bird, they break as long as I keep swinging.

The DR16 has opened the door for me on light recoil high velocity loads that I'm having a blast shooting, and yes, there's the "oddball unique" factor that I enjoy. Love beating the 12ga'ers.

And if you want to load 'em down to a "target" velocity, the gauge would be ideal for kids or women who need light kicking loads to get their feet wet at the game without getting beat up. There's a good range of wads available now. Claybusters recent release of their WAA clone is proof that Charles is not the only one to think the 16ga is feasible financialy.

Now what about this hull?????? {:o)

R*2
bcpifish
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Just started loading from a new bag of DRA16 wads and out of the first 28 wads I pulled from the bag, 2 were defective (petals not fully molded). Have any of the rest of you had issues like this? Perhaps I simply got a bag that was very early production, before they fully got the bugs worked out.

BTW, loading the following:

RGL hull
W209 primer
16.9 gr. Unique
DRA16 wad
7/8 oz. shot

I have not had this load tested yet and am not recommending it to anyone, just letting you know what I will be sending out for test.

Regards

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Ole Skeetex also told me about the saying that one of his Sargents in the service told of , something about training ! Real good one just cant seem to remember it all . Smiling !

Regards Charles

Bruce I have shot about 3 k of those that I brought back that were start ups ( compleat pedals missing some sides missing ect ) and you know what they still broke all the targets that I hit .
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Gents,

Well I'm on my 2nd bag of 500, and managed yesterday to tie my best score at the local 5 stand clays setup. Still tweaking my PW 800 to get the "perfect" crimp. I've been shooting a motley assortment of cheddites, and they're getting a bit tired, as long as I check the case mouth carefully though for splitting, I've had almost no problems. The Green Dot load I've been using seems to be kinder to the plastic than the Herco I've been using in heavier loads. Once this lot is relegated to the trim bin, I'll break out a batch of new green Cheddites and keep track of how many loads I can manage with them.

Cheers,
R*2