16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 oz wad suggestions?
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
DC,

I can see the value of a dense central core of the pattern, which is pretty decent with the SG21 wads. The only issue for me is that the fliers don't contribute to anything, they are just wasted, so somewhere the pattern is thinner than it should be. If it were just a few fliers, I would be unconcerned. But there seems to be way too many of them, at least in my opinion.

Brewster

Brewster you keep mentioning fliers. What exactly are you calling a flier?

Remember patterning is done at 40 yards with a 30 inch circle being the control element all chokes/pattern density is gauged on the number/percentage of strikes within that 30 inch circle. Even a full choke will have 30% of the pellets strike outside the 30 inch circle.
KolarDan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not an authority on fliers, but I always understood them to be deformed shot. This deformation of bb's can occur as the shot is forced into the forcing cone. This is why longer forcing cones appear to be the thing of the future because, not only do they reduce the amount of deformation of pellets by allowing a smoother more unrestricted flow of shot through the forcing cone, but they also reduce felt recoil.

I once had a 16 Ga. LeFever that kicked like a mule. I sent it to Briley, had them lengthen the forcing cones and I can honestly say I had at least a 20% reduction in felt recoil.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

KDan I agree with you on how/why we get fliers but my question to Brewester is how he determined he was getting fliers and his reason to believe that he was getting an excessive number of fliers.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Without the distance and actual numbers there is no way to know how help this fellow out.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
What exactly are you calling a flier?

It's a visual judgment of individual pellets that are outside the rest of the pattern, not in the fringe, and are isolated from the nearest neighbor by several inches or more. Like a 6-sigma outlier in a statistical distribution, not a normal ballistic dispersion. I suspect they are mostly caused by deformation. Maybe I can post a picture.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

To solve your problem shoot a 21-23 Gram load and work the 20" Core like were all supposed to and as ole Mick Dundee says ( no worrys mate ) .

Regards Charles
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Quote:
What exactly are you calling a flier?

It's a visual judgment of individual pellets that are outside the rest of the pattern, not in the fringe, and are isolated from the nearest neighbor by several inches or more. Like a 6-sigma outlier in a statistical distribution, not a normal ballistic dispersion. I suspect they are mostly caused by deformation. Maybe I can post a picture.

OK now we are about half way there. What distance are you patterning at and what is the percentage of pellets that strike outside of your object area(what you think is a reasonable target area).
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

I did a pellet count on the paper and came up with 330. Either there are whole lot off pellets WAAY off the paper or my MEC throws a short ounce, or both. Going to shoot some more patterns on larger paper AND do a pellet count out of the MEC.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

What size shot are you using and what distance are you shooting your patterns at?
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
What size shot are you using and what distance are you shooting your patterns at?

1 oz (supposedly) of No. 8 @ 34 yds, 202 pellets within 20 in circle, 128 outside
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:50 am  Reply with quote

Two points here. first, all shotgun patterns are three dimensional and involve the fourth dimension--time. The target must pass through or be enveloped by the shot column or string. The diameter, the relative density, and the length of the column at the time it envelopes the target are all factors.

The second point is about point of impact or placement of the column. I'd check my gun's POI with this load. I do so as part of evaluating any shot load I use for target shooting. you'd be surprized how some loads will change the point of impact of your gun, especially if you are changing the shot load weight or the velocity by a significant amount. If the load is showing some promise on the pattern board with nice shot distribution in a well developed core, then check the gun's POI with that load. I'm assumiong your trap gun has an adjustable stock. If not, have one installed. It makes setting your trap gun up fairly easy.

To do this POI test, you need to shoot a fair number of shots at a straightaway target set at a moderate height like the 10 foot elevation mark at 16 yards in front of the trap. 100 rounds is a good number here. More is better yet. Do the test on a dead calm time of day. Use the fullest choke you can. Have an assistant carefully watch the breaks. You will soon note whether the targets are being well centered in the core or if you are topping them or chipping off the bottom or the sides of the target. If the load is hitting the targets consistantly, even if the hits are chippy, adjust the gun's initial POI for correction until the load is now hitting the targets consistantly. If the hits remain chippy, scrap the load. Most likely, the shot column is too long and strung out. Good target loads have a relatively short shot string or column. If the hits become consistantly good as the POI is adjusted, then continue. Next, adjust your gun's POI a bit at a time until the core of the pattern moves off the target. Note just where that happens in the process. Reverse the adjustments until the core moves off the target in the opposite direction. Note it. Then set the adjustment dead between these two points. Do this both for elevation and for left/right adjustments. You are now dead center in the sweet spot of the core for that load if the test is done properly. You can fine tune your gun's POI a bit from here to adjust things for your over all shooting form and style to allow for both straightaway, and hard left or right presentations. Some folks like the gun to hit a bit high on a straightaway target to help compensate for the tendency to shoot a bit flatter at hard angle targets. Some folks shoot just the opposite. However, knowing just where your gun and you put the sweet spot of the core is of prime importance to consistant trap shooting. Good luck.

Part of the above post is from an old post of mine involving POI and target loads. I'm including the additional info to give you an idea of some of the dynamics that might be at work here. Even in hunting guns, some loads will hit closer to the gun's POI than others. For most hunting loads, close is usually good enough. However, be aware that a long shot string is less effective that a compact one--on targets and on birds. Evaluating the shot string effectiveness can only be done by shooting at a flying object with a round that centers the target well. Loads or guns that aren't hitting the target with the core regularly will confound your results regardless of how good the load might be.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:25 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Quote:

1 oz (supposedly) of No. 8 @ 34 yds, 202 pellets within 20 in circle, 128 outside

OK Brewster this is not very scientific because we aren't controlling the variables closely enough and have deviated from standard by not using proper control techniques.

You are not sure of your shot weight but think it is 1 ounce, 1 ounce of #8 shot contains 410 pellets.

Standard distance for patterning is 40 measured yards from the end of the gun's muzzle you are using 34 yards.

The diameter of the evaluated area for determining percentage is a 30 inch circle, you are using 20 inches.

You didn't mention the choke of the barrel you are shooting with.

Here is some basic information I can glean from what you have provided.

Your gun/load is shooting exceptionally tight at normal hunting distances with over 50% of the shot striking within the central core, I cant tell what the effect of the shot is in the outer area because you haven't provided the distance from the target center to the edge of the outer ring but with the assumption that the sheet of paper you are shooting is 36 inches across and your shot is perfectly centered you have a pattern roughly equivalent to 83% or extra full.

In order to be more precise:
1. weigh your shot charge individually.
2. Shoot your patterns again at a measured 40 yards.
3. determine the center of the pattern and draw your 20" and 30" circles and count pellets.

Divide the # of pellets strikes inside the 20" circle by 410 and then add the # of pellet strikes in the outside circle and divide by 410 this will give you a percentage for each circle. If that percentage is 65% or greater and there are no voids in the pattern larger than your fist you have a great hunting/clays load.