16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR-16 Loads
Researcher
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to 16ga.com but have been around other boards for quite a while. For years I loaded 1 ounce loads in compression formed Winchester/Western 16-gauge hulls with their WAA-16 wad, but always wanted a 1200 fps 7/8 ounce load. When Winchester quit making the WAA-16 I bought all that Gree Top Sporting Goods had, but they are all gone now.

I now have a case of the new DR-16 wads and need loading data for the purple plastic Federal hulls and my hoard of compression formed Winchester/Western hulls. I'd really prefer to use Remington 209P primers as over the years I've found I don't have the firing pin drag problems in my old doubles with them that I do with Winchester ammo and primers.

Dave

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Dave,
I suggest you get involved with the 16 gauge "low pressure group" as there will be lots of combinations tested.

or...

If you bought your wads from Precision have a load (or two) tested on their dime if their offer is still standing.
Birdawg
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Dave,
There is a vast amount of reloading info at the Low Pressure group
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=921
jess

to be considered flaws or defects.
IFL16's
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:37 am  Reply with quote

I got an email from Precision almost 2 months ago after ordering the wads and sending in shells to be tested with the following message: "Your order will be shipped on Tuesday, April 21st.

We'll get your test results to you as soon as the shooting room is moved and
functional again. Might just be a couple of weeks."

Has ANYBODY got their test results back from Keith at Precision yet?

Larry
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

From looking at the turn around times for testing results reported here it looks like Tom Armbrust is taking about a week to get you results which includes shipping time.
oldcoldranger
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

I would also like some loading data for the DR-16s in the Federal hulls. I have asked that question here before and only had others say they too would like some data. I am assuming that someone on this site has used this wad in the Federal hull.

The Low Pressure Group does not have any on their spreadsheet since it has not been updated February - before the wad was released to the public. I have not been through all of the postings there, but the ones I have found with the DR16 wad do not involve the Federal hulls.

I have the wads but cannot send them in for testing since you cannot ship ammo or any other reloading hazerdous material (powder or primers) into or out of Alaska. Sad
smashdn
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 am  Reply with quote

You probably know this but there is a WAA 16 clone produced by Claybuster that you should be able to continue to use in your hulls.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:14 am  Reply with quote

oldcoldranger wrote:
I would also like some loading data for the DR-16s in the Federal hulls. I have asked that question here before and only had others say they too would like some data. I am assuming that someone on this site has used this wad in the Federal hull.

The Low Pressure Group does not have any on their spreadsheet since it has not been updated February - before the wad was released to the public. I have not been through all of the postings there, but the ones I have found with the DR16 wad do not involve the Federal hulls.

I have the wads but cannot send them in for testing since you cannot ship ammo or any other reloading hazerdous material (powder or primers) into or out of Alaska. Sad

I will have some Federal loads clocked and sent in this week.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:37 am  Reply with quote

Researcher, check your PM box.
oldcoldranger
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Dave,

I would appreciate you sharing the results when you get them back. I have the DR16 and the Federal Hulls, but no loading data.

Alliant said they do not currently have any data and do not know when they will have any. I am still waiting to hear back from Hodgdon.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:44 am  Reply with quote

oldcoldranger, I'll share (gotta be careful how I say this) what I test with anyone in the "low pressure group." You are in the group, and I know you are intersted, so expect a PM from me when I get my initial velocity data. I'm assembling the loads today, and if the rain holds off I might even get them chrono'd today, but more likely it will be tomorrow. I have about a 20 mile run to a range with good benches, etc. and right now I've got to run to my hometown and take my 87 year old mother to an eye exam. Shocked
oldcoldranger
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

I appreciate that. From reading some of the posts here, I thought more people would have used that wad in the Federal hull. I guess they are using the Remington, Winchester, and others.

I wish that one of the companies would hurry up and come out with data on the wad for the Federal hull, but am still waiting.