16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  RST LOADING THE NEW DR16 WAD
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

While at the Tenn, State Shoot ( I just got in from there ) I received a call telling me that RST is now loading the DR16 Wad in a 2.5 " 21 Gram loading .

I think I heard that it was lavender in color , but dont hold me to it for the cell connection and all the shooting might have played tricks on me .

Oh by the way I shot the 19.5 Gram loads at the Tenn. State Trap Shoot , on Thursday William and I worked all day then drove all night and on Friday morning I broke 73 in the doubles and on Saturday the 200 singles I came in with a 94 on the first hundred and a 95 on the second hundred but I did manage 75 straight on the last hundred ( 20 , 25 , 25 , 25 )missed em all on the first trap done the same thing on the first hundred ( 20 , 24 , 25 , 25 ) for a total of 189 X 200 .

I will have to say that I had folks coming up and watching the commotion of me shooting a 16ga and it being a little wad of shot doing the smoking of the targets when I done my part and you know what , those things missed when I didnt do my part , Hmmm.

Had a great time and had some interesting things happen that will come about perhaps at a later date .

Now I am going to sit back and rest , I am plumb worn out , this getting old stuff is catching up to me .

Regards Charles

Last edited by Charles Hammack on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting. Wonder what kind of powder they are using and what kind of velocity they will generate. I have had trouble coming up with load with the DR 16 wad in the 2.5" hull and still get 1300fps.

Maybe I will have to go to 21grams, I have been trying 24grams.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

Charles,
Nice shooting! Betcha' caused quite a stir.

Tony,
Well, when I was doin' nothin' but shooting trap, I did run 25 with a 28ga. Unfortunately I used some of BPI's data, and when I clocked it at 1400fps, well over the so called data, I ceased and desisted. Lucky for me it was in an SKB O/U, strong gun that never showed a hint of stress, but I quit shooting the load, and moved on to HV 16ga with the new wad, and now almost exclusively sporting clays. I'm sure if I got back into trap with the 16 and 3/4oz I'd get the occassional straight run. I just find the game a bit unrealistic, much preferring the variety of presentation and variables present in sporting clays.

Cheers,
R*2
[/b]
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

That's great news regarding RST using the new wad!

Good shootn'! Exclamation
bigkev
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:13 am  Reply with quote

RST is loading a new Cheddite hull that is purple/lavender for the new 16 gauge loads. I saw them at the NE SxS shoot last weekend. Very pretty.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Did they happen to say if this was a low pressure load or not?
I will talk with Morris this weekend, at the U.P. Shoot, and get the full story.
I would love to have about 5K of those short purple hulls. Very Happy
robp
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

I have to agree with Tony better than average -good shooting non the less. What shotgun were you shooting ?
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Some Pictures from the Tenn. State Shoot .

I did get alot of questions as to why I didn't play the game like it was supposed to be played ? Just not someting you see everyday , someone hollering pull with the gun down .

The ole Marlin 90 16ga got lots of comments as to how nice that little ole gun feels and how many folks have 16 bores and a loader , so I passed out about 50 Twentyfive DR16 Sample Packs to folks and directed them to look here for more information .

Folks I could have perhaps done a little better playing the game the way it is supposed to be played , but look at all the comments and folks that took the sample wads and were directed to this site , this is something that we all should be doing and talking about at our local clubs and shoots to enhance the future of the 16 bore .

Long Live The 16 Bore .

Regards Charles
scorpion
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Charles,

You're one of a kind. Thanks for all you do for all of us!

Jack

kgb
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

Nick, I suppose 19.5gram might be a bit light for the second shot at doubles (did you keep track of how many second birds you missed vs first birds?) but the 16yd results are good proof of the load's viability. Johnny 16ga seed. Very Happy

kgb
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:28 am  Reply with quote

Hello KGB :

Yeh I missed all the first birds , none of the second ones !

Don't drive all night and then attempt to shoot targets for a score , not a good idea could not get my first bird hardly at all , but the second one is mearly a 16 yard singles target .

I will say I need to stop working 4 jobs and get back to the Masusse and get this ole frame back where it stops hurting and get back to shooting some , then go compeat in earnist.

Regards Charles