16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  So how many do you have?
Batman
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

PT, do you have contact informaton for this smith?

thanks!
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Batman: You can reach him at:
Keith Kearcher
60232 Ridgeview Dr. East
Bend, Ore. 97702
or
email: KeithKearcher@toast.net
In My 20 years working in a gunshop, I never worked with a better smith.
Batman
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks PT,

I checked the barrels and there are a whole bunch of marking on the bottom of it. Lots of circles with crowns either within the oval or on top of it and letters like "P.V" and "E" over "L G" and "ML" with a little star. I also see the numbers 16.65, 16.5 choke and 1 kg 303. Very distinctive.
Grouser
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:04 am  Reply with quote

For $ 25 bucks, why not join?

Started hunting with a Model 37 around '71, but traded it to my college roomate for a 30-30. He still uses it today.

Bought a Citori Upland Special around '88 and use it most of the time. Pretty much leave in S/IC tubes in for all birds.

Acquired my Sweet 16 (Belgium) from a friend who wanted a motorcycle. His dad's gun, NIB, so much for sentimental value. I cherish it everytime I look down the barrel at a rooster. I heard that the humpback makes up for sloppy form. Anyone else heard this?

Last edited by Grouser on Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:13 pm  Reply with quote

Grouser: Welcome aboard; this is a great board, all nice folks!!!!!! Laughing
sbs470
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 am  Reply with quote

What 16 do I have?
She is a Webley Scott 700 The serial number says 1957
2 3/4"chambers ,ejector,28"tubes bored 1/4 and 1/2.
It came from a deceased estate or so the shop said.If that was the case the guy must have died in 1960 because this gun has had no use at all.TIGHT! All the case colour is there and the blue on the bottom strap has no wear at all.
Just every now and then a guy gets lucky and is in the right place at the right time, instead of hearing the same old story "you should have been here yesterday"
Right now she is still teaching me how to shoot.
Good Shooting
SBS470
BOB OWEN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

1. BELGIUM BROWNING A5 SWEET SIXTEEN (MANU. 1951) 2. ITHICA MOD. 37 3. MAUSER MOD. 1871 BOLT ACTION (ANTIQUE) I SHOOT THE MOD. 37 THE MOST AS IT HAS A CUTTS COMP. ON IT. THE A5 IS NEAR MINT AND I WOULD HATE TO DING IT. I MUST GET OVER THIS PROBLEM. I DO NEED TO LOCATE A SOURCE FOR CHOKE TUBES FOR THE 16 GA CUTTS. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:48 am  Reply with quote

Browning A-5, made in 1930 w/ 2 9/16" chamber
Remington 870 (older model)
Winchester Single shot
Belgian Guild gun, side by side
DeHaan Model U2 O/U

These are all 16 gauges of course.
XVI

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Almost forgot.
and, one of my favorite 16 gauges is a well worn Model 12 that has no choke at all. At some point in its lifetime the barrel has been cut off and re-crowned. It is a quail slayer.
XVI

Mr. 16 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Currently I have three:

Ithaca M37 pump with 28" barrel and mod. choke (also have a slug barrel wtih rifle sights for this one).

Remington Model 11 with 26" barrel and polychoke

Stoeger SxS double with 26" barrels and IC & Mod chokes.

Just bought my first 1100 (12 gauge)....If I like the model, I will look for an older 1100 in 16 gauge.

Orry
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

What a great collection of 16-gauges, and a fine group of guys. Found this site a month or so ago, been lurking, throughly enjoy the conversation - found myself a home here. I shoot a Winchester Model 21 16-gauge, built in the forties, factory #6 engraved except it is scroll over the entire receiver in place of the birds and dogs. A great firearm.
IFL16's
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:35 am  Reply with quote

I have three so far but I've only been at it a year...

As my username reads, in order of appearance, I have an Ithaca Flues, a Fox Sterlingworth and a Lefever D.S.. Hope to be IFLPS16's some day but so far the Parker and L.C. Smith's I've seen fall short of the light weight fast handling characteristics I'm looking for.

Larry
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

Larry you will have to look long and hard to find a Parker with the handling of your present guns. You will probably have to find a "0" frame (the Holy Grail of Parker 16's) to come close to the handling dynamics of your Fox gun. Be prepared to dig deep into your pockets when you find one. However, having said that, I do have a 1906 VH #1 frame with 30" barrels that has surprisingly good balance and pointability.

An L.C. Featerwight 16 usually has some pretty good handling qualities but neither the Parker or the L.C. will posess the "magic" of a good Fox.
IFL16's
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel, you're probably right about those two guns. I thought it would be nice to own one of each but I won't buy anything just for the sake of saying I own one. Bottom line is they have to shoot and handle right before I'll buy them. I'm more then happy enough with the three I have now so won't be looking long and hard, I'll just be keeping my eyes open in case I see something interesting.

I'm lucky in that I only live a 3 hour drive from Keith Kearcher and my brother lives in the same city so will have many opportunities to visit and/or take my guns to him for repair or adjustment. I called him several weeks ago to ask him about Lefevers and he said he'd keep his eyes open for one in 16 gauge but that he hadn't seen many lately. I bought one over the internet and had it sent to him for inspection and he sent it back because it had thin barrels. He found an all original D.S. in Reno that weekend with great bores and wood (plain wood but solid) so I grabbed that one. No more buying sight unseen off the internet for me. That last one cost me 65 dollars and I didn't even get to see it.

Larry
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

I only have 3 at the moment, and 2 of them are going to leave my inventory fairly soon (Poli listed for sale here, Browning Citori). That will leave me with only the Greener DH-25, but I may have an Uggie 30 inbound to go with it. At any rate, if both go away, I'll pick up something in the way of a "rainy day" 16 before long.

Vic Venters did an article on 16's in Shooting Sportsman a couple years back. On their BB, he asked for a list of how many (and which) 16's we had owned. He threw out my list because it skewed the numbers too badly! The scary thing is, of all the guns listed previously, sxs and OU that is, I think the only ones I haven't owned at one time or another, in 16 of course, are a Tobin, a real Lefever (as opposed to a Nitro Special), and a Harkom like Chukarman's--although I've had several Brit 16's, including a couple Scottish. Had I held onto all of them, in addition to being bankrupt, I'd need a whole lot more than a very large gun safe or two . . . like maybe a fairly roomy and slightly used bank vault.