16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Slugs in a Fox Model B
Rude_Man
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

I asked a gunsmith about running slugs in my Fox Model B side-by-side and unfortunately he kept on with the performance of using a Remington 870 for slugs. So I really didn't get an answer. Does anyone know if slugs are a "good idea" running through this shotgun? I recently acquired it and don't want to "tear up" a beautiful shotgun due to misinformation.
thunderstick
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:50 am  Reply with quote

What are the chokes? From everything I've ever read about slugs, you'll want fairly open chokes. like cylinder and Improved cylinder. Don't use a FULL choke barrel. Maybe a Mod, but you'd better measure the choke and the slug diameter first. Some SxS shoot slugs pretty good,others don't Wink
ALMODUX
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

My first real gun was a BSE 20ga, and I ran plenty of fosters through it for deer...mostly practice. Very Happy It has IC/Mod bbls. I never had any issues. So long as they are lead, then it would be fine, as most are under-bored, anyway. Very Happy
Rude_Man
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

The right barrel is a modified choke and the left barrel is an improved choke. The shotgun I believe was manufactured somewhere between 1939 to 1968.
powderburn
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:27 am  Reply with quote

I would not worry too much about shooting the foster type slugs thru a fox b or bse. These shotguns are heavily built and should have no more problem than any other shotgun. I would think your biggest issue might be different points of impact from the 2 different barrels but then again at practical ranges for a slug gun w no sights the difference might not be significant.