16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  ugly shells
megafatcat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

I just finished reloading a batch of shells, my first attempt at shotshell reloading. Some of the shells had a problem with the crimp, one of the petals? not folding down right leaving a peak at the rim where the crimp rolls over. I assume that this is because the hulls were old and stored in a hot garage.
The question is, can I shoot these rounds? Is there a necessary starting compression or some other reason? I know that they will not feed but I could load 1 into the chamber and a good round into the magazine.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Not a problem shoot em up , you will get better with time , just keep at it .

Regards Charles
aabradley82
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

what loader and hulls are you using? I found that with some hulls it helps to pinch the crimp into shape before running through the crimp starter. takes more time but it keeps uglies to a minimum. might need to adjust your crimper die to keep from mashing the ends up. be patient things do get better and easier.
megafatcat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Texan press and Federal hulls, some hulls at least 10 years old. I have been saving hulls even before I had a press. About 1 in 10 had crimping problems, and 1/2 of those were so bad I cut them up to save parts.
About 300 Federals complete and will start on the Remingtons when I find more primers. Thanks for this site and all the information.
aabradley82
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

make sure you have the newer rem hulls. some of the old ones wont work with 209 primers, but they are pretty old. good luck. check with someone else about adjusting your press, i only have mecs.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:25 am  Reply with quote

Hello megafatcat

Neat, which Texan? FW, A, P, M ?

I have 12 M presses and parts for a lots of the single stage presses.

One trick on the Texan single stage presses is to insure the wad guide is good and the wad does NOT mess with the mouth of the hull, VERY IMPORTANT. Then the crimps will be much better.

Also on the crimp start, you are using a 6 star crimp head and not an 8 start crimp head?

Looking forward to your response

Mike
megafatcat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Press is a model GT, I do not know the differences. I bought the press used on ebay for a song but it is complete and works well. The man I bought it from threw in a lot of hulls and I am using those as well as my own. Most of my reloads are picture perfect, once I got the adjustments right. The press came with a 6pt starter mounted and a loose brass 8 pt starter that can be mounted. On my few 8point hulls I set the brass starter over the hull, loose, and press it down with the bell of the mounted 6pt starter. Sounds crazy but it is fast and I have almost no problems with my 8pt crimps. Thanks for the tip on the wads, I will check that on my next session with the remington hulls.